[UWP] Windows UWP project created on VS2015RC/Win10 Preview can't find System.Runtime on VS2015RTM/Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on a Windows 10 UWP project under build 10240 and VS2015RC. I have now started with a clean install of Windows 10 and a clean install of VS2015RC. When I try to build my solution, it appears that none of the .NET classes can be found (27k build errors).

For example, the System.Runtime.ComplierServices cannot be found, so the AssemblyTitle class can't be found.

I created a new HelloWorld UWP app, and it works fine.  If I navigate to AssemblyTitle in that project, the reference to the assembly appears to be:

// C:\Users\david\.nuget\packages\System.Runtime\4.0.20\ref\dotnet\System.Runtime.dll

It appears that I don't need to install the Windows 10 SDK separately anymore.  I have installed the Multilingual App Toolkit 4.0, Wix 3.10 and SQLite for Universal App Platform.

Any thoughts on how to update my project to get it to find the core assemblies?

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

>>The System.Runtime.ComplierServices cannot be found, so the AssemblyTitle class can't be found

Actually, after upgrading VS2015 to RTM version today, I can see the same exception when opening my previous UWP projects.

To solve this issue, please see this document: Update your UWP Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 RC project to RTM https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/mt188198.aspx

Create a new project and copy files into it

1.Launch Visual Studio 2015 RTM and create a new Blank Application (Windows Universal) project. Remember that by default your new project builds an app package (an appx file) that targets the Universal device family. Change that if you're targeting one or more specific device families.

2.In your Visual Studio 2015 RC project, identify all of the source code files and visual asset files that you want to copy over. Using File Explorer, copy data models, view models, visual assets, Resource Dictionaries, folder structure, and anything else that you need (including AssemblyInfo.cs), to your new project. Copy or create sub-folders on disk as necessary.

3.Copy views (for example, MainPage.xaml and MainPage.xaml.cs) into the new project, too. Again, create new sub-folders as necessary, and remove the existing views from the project. But before you over-write or remove a view that Visual Studio generated, keep a copy because it may be useful to refer to it later.

4. In Solution Explorer, make sure Show All Files is toggled on. Select the files that you copied, right-click them, and click Include In Project. This will automatically include their containing folders. You can then toggle Show All Files off if you like. An alternative workflow, if you prefer, is to use the Add Existing Item command, having created any necessary sub-folders in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer. Double-check that your visual assets have Build Action set to Content and Copy to Output Directory set to Do not copy.

5.Add references to any extension SDKs that you referenced in your RC project, and copy any changes over from your previous Package.appxmanifest (for example, any capabilities that you declared) to the one in the new RTM project.

Or Advanced: Edit your existing project files

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by David Cater Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:29 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:05 AM

All replies

• I picked one of my assemblies and rebuilt it, starting with a new UWP class library project.  I had to make various changes to get it building (there were updates to nuget packages, a new nuget package I needed to install, etc.). Once I got it building, I compared the csproj files. There were enough differences between the csproj files that I decided I would feel more comfortable rebuilding all of the project files in my solution from scratch.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Hi David,

>>The System.Runtime.ComplierServices cannot be found, so the AssemblyTitle class can't be found

Actually, after upgrading VS2015 to RTM version today, I can see the same exception when opening my previous UWP projects.

To solve this issue, please see this document: Update your UWP Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 RC project to RTM https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/mt188198.aspx

Create a new project and copy files into it

1.Launch Visual Studio 2015 RTM and create a new Blank Application (Windows Universal) project. Remember that by default your new project builds an app package (an appx file) that targets the Universal device family. Change that if you're targeting one or more specific device families.

2.In your Visual Studio 2015 RC project, identify all of the source code files and visual asset files that you want to copy over. Using File Explorer, copy data models, view models, visual assets, Resource Dictionaries, folder structure, and anything else that you need (including AssemblyInfo.cs), to your new project. Copy or create sub-folders on disk as necessary.

3.Copy views (for example, MainPage.xaml and MainPage.xaml.cs) into the new project, too. Again, create new sub-folders as necessary, and remove the existing views from the project. But before you over-write or remove a view that Visual Studio generated, keep a copy because it may be useful to refer to it later.

4. In Solution Explorer, make sure Show All Files is toggled on. Select the files that you copied, right-click them, and click Include In Project. This will automatically include their containing folders. You can then toggle Show All Files off if you like. An alternative workflow, if you prefer, is to use the Add Existing Item command, having created any necessary sub-folders in the Visual Studio Solution Explorer. Double-check that your visual assets have Build Action set to Content and Copy to Output Directory set to Do not copy.

5.Add references to any extension SDKs that you referenced in your RC project, and copy any changes over from your previous Package.appxmanifest (for example, any capabilities that you declared) to the one in the new RTM project.

Or Advanced: Edit your existing project files

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by David Cater Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:29 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Thanks.  That describes exactly what I did.  I wasn't aware of the trick to use Include In Project, though.  Good info.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:30 PM