Version of SQL on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• What version of SQL is available for production usage on Azure?

I installed a database and I got a SQL 2012 (11.0.9216.62) equivalent.

I want a SQL 2014 (12.0.2000.8) database.  I did not see an option to select a 2014 database.

I want to try out the COLUMN Store index feature.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi sidlet,

Currently, Azure uses a special version of Microsoft SQL Server as its backend. It provides high availability by storing multiple copies of databases, elastic scale and rapid provisioning, just as your post, when we check the version of SQL Server, it shows as follows.

Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 11.0.9216.62

And the columostore feature is not supported in the above version of SQL Server.

As other post, if you want to use the columostore feature, you can use Windows Azure Virtual Machine with SQL Server 2014.

In addition, you can also create a SQL Server 2014 Database directly on Azure Blob storage with SQLXI, for more information, see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/igorpag/archive/2013/10/23/create-a-sql-server-2014-database-directly-on-azure-blob-storage-with-sqlxi.aspx

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sidlet Friday, August 15, 2014 12:24 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please confirm if you are looking for Virtual Machine with SQL Server 2014 or if you are looking for creating a SQL Database

If you are looking for creating VM, SQL Server 2014 is readily available

On the contrary, if you are trying to create SQL Database, please let me know where exactly you were able to find the versions

Regards,

Sowmya

• Proposed as answer by Sowmya K R Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:20 PM
  • I'm trying to create a SQL Database.  There are no choices for the version of SQL.

After I created it I ran the following:

SELECT @@servername [name],SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') [version], SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel') [level], SERVERPROPERTY ('edition') [edition]

Results:

11.0.9216.62    RTM    SQL Azure

Is creating a SQL 2014 database available?  Or when will it be available?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Hi sidlet,

Currently, Azure uses a special version of Microsoft SQL Server as its backend. It provides high availability by storing multiple copies of databases, elastic scale and rapid provisioning, just as your post, when we check the version of SQL Server, it shows as follows.

Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 11.0.9216.62

And the columostore feature is not supported in the above version of SQL Server.

As other post, if you want to use the columostore feature, you can use Windows Azure Virtual Machine with SQL Server 2014.

In addition, you can also create a SQL Server 2014 Database directly on Azure Blob storage with SQLXI, for more information, see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/igorpag/archive/2013/10/23/create-a-sql-server-2014-database-directly-on-azure-blob-storage-with-sqlxi.aspx

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sidlet Friday, August 15, 2014 12:24 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

The latest available database is SQL 2012 with SQL Azure

Regards,

Sowmya

• Proposed as answer by Sowmya K R Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:08 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:06 PM