xps printing and viewing

Question

• Store apps seem to be limited with regards to xps support.

Yet there is an XPS Viewer app that can view and print XPS documents.

Anyway to embedded this in a store app or using it from a store app?

I can not see any way to use the xps COM APIs and use DirectX C++ to do this work of both printing and viewing.  

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can use the XPS Documents interfaces listed in the Win32 and COM for Windows Store apps (printing and documents) for printing.

It is not possible to embed other apps in an app, and there is no API provided to view XPS documents in an app.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:56 PM
    Owner
  • Actually you can not use the XPS Documents interfaes listed in Win32 and COM for Windows Store apps to print XPS documents.  You would need access to StartXpsPrintJob and this is not available to WinRT store apps. 

Do you know another way as I could not find one?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:08 PM
  •  Actually, bet yet do you have an sample application showing printing xps documents use the interfaces you describe from a store app?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:22 PM
  • No sample showing how this works, so I can only assume it is not possible.

I see nothing new in Windows 8.1 preview to indicate XPS is supported as well as it was in WFC.  Only PDF display API.  Go figure XPS is being ignored and PDF is being added???

Why did you not reimplement WFC like system properly in Windows Store Apps  (FULL FixedDocument support)?  Even clipping is just RectangleGeometry.

WOW!!!!  Were improving by moving backwards.  I assume at some point Windows 9 or 10 or 11 will see this rectified but for now I can only see us all being forced to use DirectX APIs directly although I will keep experimenting to see if I missed something.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:20 PM