none
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: '[TargetDir]/de/Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v9.0.resources.dll' could not be downloaded (VSTO 4.0) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have an Outlook Add-In with .Net 3.5, VSTO 4.0 and Office 2010. We install this Add-In with the normal Visual Studio Installer (not Click Once). Usually this Add-In works without problems.

When I started Outlook today the Microsoft Office Installer came up with the following error:

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: '[TargetDir]/de/Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v9.0.resources.dll' could not be downloaded (German windows)

After that, the Add-In was deactivated. When I activated it, it worked fine again with no problems. Even when I started Outlook anew the error didn´t come up.

Normally this dll is in the GAC. We use the "runtime version" of VSTO and PIA which get installed with Office 2010.

Is this a kind of race condition? Are there any solutions for this kind of behavior?

Another post I found without solution: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/vsto-setup-problem-missing-file-t3885869.html

Thanks in advice

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:27 AM

All replies

• Was SP1 installed? Perhaps the revised version of the VSTO runtime was being looked for.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:77d4cbac-5a48-4bc3-b28f-041fc696cc07...

Hi,

we have an Outlook Add-In with .Net 3.5, VSTO 4.0 and Office 2010. We install this Add-In with the normal Visual Studio Installer (not Click Once). Usually this Add-In works without problems.

When I started Outlook today the Microsoft Office Installer came up with the following error:

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: '[TargetDir]/de/Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v9.0.resources.dll' could not be downloaded (German windows)

After that, the Add-In was deactivated. When I activated it, it worked fine again with no problems. Even when I started Outlook anew the error didn´t come up.

Normally this dll is in the GAC. We use the "runtime version" of VSTO and PIA which get installed with Office 2010.

Is this a kind of race condition? Are there any solutions for this kind of behavior?

Another post I found without solution: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/vsto-setup-problem-missing-file-t3885869.html

Thanks in advice

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean the new Office 2010 SP1? No, this isn´t installed yet.

But I saw that yesterdays patch day had an update for VSTO 4.0. Perhaps this was the reason. I will see if the error comes up again.

Viele Grüße Mark
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Update:

Now had the same Problem also on a Win7 Office 2007 SP2 Machine with VSTO 4.0 installed.

The same Problem comes also with Office 2010 with SP1 newly installed.

It looks like this behavior is caused by the new VSTO 2010 Update which comes Standalone through Windows Updater (if you already have VSTO installed) or with the Office 2010 SP1.

It seems to that Office tries to rebuild the VSTO cache or similar and starts looking for the dll at the wrong location. Afterwards it gets the right .dll from the GAC (where it should usually be) and after an restart or reactivation of the addin all works fine.

Anyone else having this problems?

Viele Grüße Mark

Friday, July 1, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

We recently faced another similar problem concerning about the same update, Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime Redistributable (KB2525428).

After the update, our outlook addin keeps giving an error "Configuration system failed to initialize". System.Configuration at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()....

I think the adding is trying to read its settings/config-file but for somehow it can't.

I tried to repair and remove/re-install the addin but it still keeps giving the same error. I figured that if I rollback the update it would help but the update is not listed in the windows "installed updates" section.

I haven't tried to rebuild the addin because that's a lot bigger work to do. Any ideas what is causing this, and is there probably coming new fixes over this update?

Juha

• Edited by JuhaL Friday, July 1, 2011 9:53 AM defined
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hi Mark,

We are doing the research about the problem. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 4, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Thank you very much

Best Regards

Viele Grüße Mark
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I did a good deal of searching both internally and externally and didn't really see this being a known issue. Can you open a support incident for this so that we can work with you further and more directly on this?

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Messaging Developer
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

thanks again.

This Problem happens only once. If you reactivate the add-in everything works fine, even when you close and open Outlook again, so it is hard to reconstruct.

I also saw that there was a problem with the dependencies in the MSI Installer, because it hasn´t found any dependencies, so I could´t exclude them. Perhaps it took the Runtime.dll and put them into the installer and then didn´t find the localized resource.

I will take a closer look in two weeks because I will now be in vacation until end of next week.

If it happens again I will open a support incident.

Best regards

and thank you very much.

Viele Grüße Mark
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:20 AM