none
Interacting with XenApp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I developed an application that crunched some data and created a Microsoft Word report.  It works great if Office is installed.

Unfortunately, the workstation the program was designed for does not have Microsoft Office installed.  It has a XenApp virtual client installed which is how they access Microsoft Office.

My program would not run on the local workstation because it couldn't find Office via interop.  We resolved the issue by moving my program into XenApp.

Not satisfied with that solution, I subsequently used the OpenXML sdk to create a word document, saved it to the local workstation and then used System.Diagnostic.Process.Start on that document.  It loaded the document in Word successfully.

So, now my question is this: is there a way to pull up Word directly from the virtual client so that I can create a document without using OpenXML?

Thank you very much!! 

• Moved by Bob Shen Monday, November 19, 2012 5:49 AM (From:Visual C# General)
    Friday, November 16, 2012 6:37 PM

Answers

• no.  personally I prefer to use a third party library like the open xml sdk, aspose, npoi, or syncfusion docio rather that automate office.  too many things can go wrong like it not being installed or having a different version installed
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Remember the free Word Viewer from Microsoft, for each version of Office. This may be useful depending on other requirements of your app:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Knuth

Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Hi Hiline1961,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think the Open Xml is the most suitable solution for your issue if you hasn't install Office suites on your machine. If you don't like Open Xml there seems have few products you are able to find in Microsoft to support your goal without Office PIA. And Pieter's suggest is worth trying.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• no.  personally I prefer to use a third party library like the open xml sdk, aspose, npoi, or syncfusion docio rather that automate office.  too many things can go wrong like it not being installed or having a different version installed
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Remember the free Word Viewer from Microsoft, for each version of Office. This may be useful depending on other requirements of your app:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Knuth

Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Hi Hiline1961,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think the Open Xml is the most suitable solution for your issue if you hasn't install Office suites on your machine. If you don't like Open Xml there seems have few products you are able to find in Microsoft to support your goal without Office PIA. And Pieter's suggest is worth trying.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Thanks Ken, Pieter and Tom for your great replies!

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:48 PM