Where is my executable? RRS feed

• Question

• User1504070297 posted

I want to run ASP.NET. I downloaded ASP.NET. I have a Windows 8.1 desktop. I have a C:\Program File (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET directory. But I can't find the executable for ASP.NET. Do I need to download Visual Studio also?

Thanks, Robert

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:50 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

If I understand you correctly, you downloaded ASP.NET (which is likely the ASP.NET Framework) and installed it and you want to get started building ASP.NET applications?

ASP.NET is the actual framework that is used to run applications, but it isn't actually used to build them (e.g. you won't open it and use it to do everything). You would generally install Visual Studio and use it to build your ASP.NET applications (the ASP.NET framework installation is a requirement of Visual Studio).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:09 PM
  • User281315223 posted

Web Matrix is still a completely viable way to build web applications that doesn't require Visual Studio. You can simply download and install it through the Web Platform Installer to get started building the Razor sites. 

As long as you have the .NET Framework installed (which it sounds like you already did), you should be go to go using that. If you want to start building applications that target some of the other available ASP.NET technologies like Web Forms and MVC, then you'll probably want to download Visual Studio.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:24 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

If I understand you correctly, you downloaded ASP.NET (which is likely the ASP.NET Framework) and installed it and you want to get started building ASP.NET applications?

ASP.NET is the actual framework that is used to run applications, but it isn't actually used to build them (e.g. you won't open it and use it to do everything). You would generally install Visual Studio and use it to build your ASP.NET applications (the ASP.NET framework installation is a requirement of Visual Studio).

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:09 PM
  • User1504070297 posted

Ok, I'm very confused. At one time I used ASP.NET/Webmatrix/Razor to build a very nice program. I was using a different computer. So, I'm assuming I need to download Visual Studio to be able to do this again. Thanks for your time and information. 

Robert

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:20 PM
  • User1316246260 posted

There are a lot of free programs out there that contain .net versions.

Nothing is better than the actual Visual Studio but here are some free ones:

http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

Although some of the 2010 versions only run .net version 4.0.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:10 PM
  • User281315223 posted

Web Matrix is still a completely viable way to build web applications that doesn't require Visual Studio. You can simply download and install it through the Web Platform Installer to get started building the Razor sites. 

As long as you have the .NET Framework installed (which it sounds like you already did), you should be go to go using that. If you want to start building applications that target some of the other available ASP.NET technologies like Web Forms and MVC, then you'll probably want to download Visual Studio.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:24 PM