SQL Server Is Struggling To Authenticate RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Forum

I have a customer that has an Instance of SQL Server 2008 R2.   The issue is that it is not authenticating with Windows domain Logins but it is authenticating with SQL Logins.

I have twice rebooted the SQL Server in an effort to resolve the issue but the situation still remains; can anybody offer any insight into what could be causing the issue?

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:36 PM

Answers

• Case closed; the Server had the wrong DNS Settings.
    • Marked as answer by Anthony C-UK Friday, July 1, 2011 4:35 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you post any errors that your customer is receiving when trying to login?

Has the users domain account been added as a login in SQL Server? Does the users login have the right permissions for the database? Is the user in the same domain as the server?

There are dozens of questions like this, but if you can provide the error it will be a lot easier to identify the problem

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, July 1, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Thanks adb2303.

The users that are having this problem all have access to the SQL instance.  It is "timing out" when they attempt to login using NT authentication but they have no issues when logging in using SQL Authentication.  Users are using domain accounts that are in the same domain as the Server.

Friday, July 1, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Are there any errors in the event log or SQL Server error log on the server.  Is kerberos enabled? 

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Cannot answer either of these at the moment as I cannot even logon to the Server.

However it appears as though it is domain issues so I'm awaiting a response from our domain support staff...

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Case closed; the Server had the wrong DNS Settings.
    • Marked as answer by Anthony C-UK Friday, July 1, 2011 4:35 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:35 PM