none
Workflow not start automatically when a new item is created in a task list

Question

• I have a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow that creates a task in a task list that is associated with the workflow.  When the create task action creates the new item, the workflow in the task list does not start automatically even though the workflow setting is set to start when a new item is created. is this a bug? a problem with permissions? unique to SharePoint Designer 2013? I had used Nintex Forms and Workflows in the past and never had this problem, but every thing Nintex creates is 2010.

Thanks!

Thanks! Patti N.

Friday, December 2, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Naccarati,

I create a workflow to create a task in a task list in SharePoint Designer and add another workflow to be started on the new created task in the task list. When a task was created via the workflow, the associated workflow starts on the new task automatically.

For this issue, please make sure you are not starting the workflow as a SharePoint System Account. If you create an item using System Account, the workflow will not function properly or won’t start automatically. System Account is the account that’s used for the application pool running the web app.

Try creating the item using another account.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Hi Naccarati,

Linda is absolutely correct and top of that the workflow will not fire if you are adding the items through Content Organizer Rules [which in turn also creates the item with system account].

Make sure the item is added with account which is not "System Account" or if that's not possible then a event receiver [Item Added] to start the workflow in case the item is added but he system account.

Thanks!!

Monday, December 5, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you both for your response.  I have added the workflow to the task list and it does not start automatically when the task is created from a different list/workflow.  It must be the system account that's creating it the task.  Both workflows are Designer 2013.  Should I change it to a 2010 workflow?  How do I change it so that someone other than the system account is creating the task?  Can I just changed the Created By when the task is created?

Thanks,

Patti

Thanks! Patti N.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:34 PM
  • When I look at the tasks in the task list, it says my name in the Created By column.  Yet, the workflow still does not fire.  The Created By column does not say System Account.

Thanks! Patti N.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:43 PM
  • Hi Naccarati,

In my test, both workflows are SharePoint 2013 workflow, and they works as expected.

You should not change the Created By field. Please sign in as a different user account, don’t sign in as a System Account, then try to start the worflow on the item.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

When I activated this feature, the workflow started on "create new".  I don't see how to change that the workflow is started by "system account".  That's not what I'm signed in as, although I do have site collection admin permissions.  Thanks!

Patti

Workflows can use app permissions

Thanks! Patti N.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Hi Patti,

We can use App Step to elevate permission of the workflow. By enabling the App Step feature, it allows the application to authorize by using only its identity and ignoring that of the user.

To understand how it works, you could refer to the following article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj822159.aspx

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Hello

We deploy our SPD Workflows with a separate user. That user is only for publish Workflows. As far as I know, Workflows runs under the user who publish the workflow. Rigth?

Question 1: What is the best was to start a workflow?

Question 2: (In case that the user who publish a Workflows is a normal user account)

What happened if a user left the organization who publish a workflow? Would those workflow crash?

Thanks for Feedback

Cheers Frank

• Edited by Frank-77 Monday, December 19, 2016 1:11 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 1:01 PM
  • Hi Frank-77,

Yes you are correct, workflow run under the account who publish the workflow

Answer 1: All users with appropriate permissions can start the workflow

Answer 2: Create a dedicated service account [with password never expire setting] to publish the workflow.

Thanks

Friday, December 23, 2016 11:21 AM
  • One thing that might be of interest for you is an impersonation step. This mimics the rights of the person starting the workflow and ensures the system account isn't used.

There are a few blogs posts in the wider net but this one might be educational for you.

http://beezy.net/2016/12/monitoring-measuring-collaboration/

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, 

Thanks for responding.  I've followed the instructions you have provided and in the article.  But, I'm not quite sure what I need to "wrap' in the "App Step" to get the workflow in the task list to fire off when a new task is created from a different workflow attached to the main list.  Is it the action in the main list that creates the task that needs to be wrapped in the App Step?

Thanks!

Thanks! Patti N.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Unfortunately, the impersonation step was deprecated in sharepoint 2013 workflows.  Perhaps it was replaced with the web app thing.  Not sure.  I'm a Nintex person and am having to get acquainted with InfoPath and SharePoint Designer 2013.  :-)

Thanks so much for your response.

Thanks! Patti N.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 4:09 PM