SharePoint 2019 - Sorry, something went wrong Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified RRS feed

• General discussion

• It seems that SharePoint 2019 is missing the Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal.dll  I am not sure if this was just done on purpose or just a miss from Microsoft.

Missing that dll caused Excel Web Online not to render in PerformancePoint (yes, I know. PerformancePoint.... Sigh)

Error Message:

Sorry, something went wrong
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Fix:

I grabbed the dll from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal\v4.0_16.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c on the SharePoint 2016 Server and copied to SharePoint 2019.

I modified the webconfig file with the following entries:

< dependentAssembly>   
     < assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal" publicKeyToken="71e9bce111e9429c" />   
     < !-- Assembly versions can be redirected in application, publisher policy, or machine configuration files. -->   
     < bindingRedirect oldVersion="15.0.0.0" newVersion="16.0.0.0"/>   
     < /dependentAssembly>  

<SafeControl Assembly="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal" TypeName="*" />
     <SafeControl Assembly="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal" TypeName="*" />
     <SafeControl Assembly="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal" TypeName="*" />
     <SafeControl Assembly="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" Namespace="Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.Internal" TypeName="*" />

Just posting here in case might help someone else.  Not sure what happened but it seems Microsoft missed that. Maybe intentionally. 

Antonio Segovia

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

I am not familiar with that dll, but it is a 2016 version and may not be there in SharePoint 2019.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Sunday, May 5, 2019 3:23 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am not asking. I am telling you. You are a MVP, please pass the message to Microsoft so they can include that DLL on the next CU. Having to grab the DLL from 2016 (despite is the exact same version) is NOT ok.

Antonio Segovia

Monday, May 6, 2019 3:25 PM
  • Yes, you are right.

But could you give more detail on this? As my last post, the 2016 version dll should not be included in 2019 version.

Such as the version number of your SP2019, did you install a new SharePoint 2019 or upgrade from 2016, etc.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:57 AM