How to locate a custom wizard project template in the main Visual C++ projects tab of the new project wizard? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a Visual Studio extension of a new c++ project template on Visual Studio 2010. I 'm doing it by the method of .vsz template. I followed the MSDN steps: I created a new project of this type: Visual C++->Custom Wizard. there I edited the default.js file, the Template.inf file and more. after changing all the needed, I saved my changes using ctrl+s, closed the VS IDE, and opened a new instance of VS. There I pressed on the New Project button, and there I expected to realize my new template in Visual C++ projects tab, but it was not there, but it was by Other Languages->Wizards tab. Do you know how I can locate my template in the main tab of Visual C++ projects? thanks in advanced!
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

>>I followed the MSDN steps

Do you mean this document "Creating Custom Templates"? However, it is for visual studio 6.0. If not, please provide us with the link. I will reproduce this issue.

Here is another easy way to create a project template "How to: Create Project Templates" for your reference.

Best regards,

Sunny

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:21 AM
  • hi Sunny, thanks for the reply.

I think I found my solution:

I put the project_name.ico, project_name.vsdir and project_name.vsz generated file in he directory <Visual C++ Install Directory>\vc7\vcprojects, as I saw I have to do in this article: 

http://developergeeks.com/article/67/create-a-custom-wizard-in-visual-studio-net

and now I can see my template in the wanted tab...

thanks again :)

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, May 5, 2014 10:43 AM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you got it working!

And thank you for sharing your solution here, it will help others who come across the similar issue.

Best regards,

Sunny

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:45 AM