Getting started information on installing Windows Developer Preview

Question

• So I want to get started writing games for Metro, Is the Developer Preview with tools a whole operating system or is it a SDK. I am asking because it says it can't be uninstalled unless you reinstall the previous OS from your disk or media.

If this gets installed as a OS, how do a make a separate partition, to run it, and start creating.

Also my system is 32 bit is the tools only for 64 bit Operating systems.

One last question, I missed Build last year and I understand they gave out dev tablets, is there anyway I can get my hands on one.

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:35 AM

Answers

• Is the Developer Preview with tools a whole operating system or is it a SDK.

It is a complete operating system.

If this gets installed as a OS, how do a make a separate partition, to run it, and start creating.

Dual Boot Windows 8 With Windows 7

You can dual boot your current Windows and Windows 8 by creating a separate partition. Backup important data first, and you should not touch your restore partition if you have one.

Here is a guide (it's for Windows 7 but the process is similar with Vista):
    http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

First please note:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Also my system is 32 bit is the tools only for 64 bit Operating systems.

If your computer only supports 32 bit you can not install Windows 64 bit. If the computer is 64 bit capable you can have one 32 bit and one 64 bit OS installed at the same time.

One last question, I missed Build last year and I understand they gave out dev tablets, is there anyway I can get my hands on one.

Not currently, unless there are some on ebay.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:28 AM

All replies