how to display subreport's page header and page footer at master report? RRS feed

• Question

• i m using ms sql reporting services.

anyone know how to display subreport's page header and page footer at master report?

i know reporting services 2000 do not have this function,but what should i do, so my master report can display the subreport's report header and report footer.

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:16 AM

Answers

• Sorry, this is currently not supported.  Only the main report's page header/footer will show in the report output.

What if the main report also has header/footer defined?  Would you want to display the subreport header/footer inline in the main report (i.e. in the regular flow of the main report's page)? 

-- Robert

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• Sorry, this is currently not supported.  Only the main report's page header/footer will show in the report output.

What if the main report also has header/footer defined?  Would you want to display the subreport header/footer inline in the main report (i.e. in the regular flow of the main report's page)? 

-- Robert

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:55 AM
  • I had a similar issue in that I would have liked to have the name of the report, which was in the Page Header, show when it was grouped together with other subreports on another report.

Here is what I did...

For each subreport...

Insert a Group under the Table Header and make the Group By expression = ExecutionTime or Today

In the Layout properties of that Group set "RepeatOnNewPage" = True

Move Column headers down to that new Group

Insert the regular information you would have in your Page Header into the now blank Header row of the table

Voila - the report will behave like a regular report even when it is embedded as a subreport in another report.  There are some limitations in formatting, but it works

The same could be done i would imagine for Table Footer of the report... the only issue might be consistency of Page Numbers, but for my purpose where I needed to repeat the Report Header information inside the subreport, this worked perfectly.

Then I can have the Page numbering in the footer of the master report, and get a complete page number count, while still displaying the header information of the subreport

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:53 PM
  • I also need to display subreport pagefooter at the master level.
    Now it,s critical to make it.
    My subreport has 4 pages, at each page must be printed footer with document number.
    At master level i cannot print doc number because at it's page  footer i can only has access to aggregated dataset values or firat or last record, and not to current subreport values. Did you found some way to do it?

P.S.- i need footer at the very bottom of the each page.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Yes i want. How to do it?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:06 PM
  • May be using shared variables can help?
    setting them in subreport and use them in master report page footer?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/chrishays/archive/2006/01/05/ResetPageNumberOnGroup.aspx
    • Proposed as answer by BINGO BONGO Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Tried  using shared variable all OK- working.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:44 AM

-- Robert

Is this feature avialiable in SQL 2008 ?
    i am using sql 2005 and facing the same problem.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:25 PM
  • oh dear, no, still the same 'flacid' behaviour of page headers and footers in ssrs2008 
    A page footer is just that, and should appear regardless of being in a sub report or not, this needs fixing

- solution to my problem was to use tablix with group header / footer as mentioned by others, also had to assign some 'dummy' data (as data on some sub reports was pure parameter driven), not ideal, as requires several sub reports edits rather than just single main report, as with many of the RS workarounds, it does the job.
    • Proposed as answer by Scoobyed00 Friday, October 23, 2009 11:10 AM
    • Edited by Scoobyed00 Friday, October 23, 2009 11:14 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Ok, well i am facing another problem now, I have place an Image in the Header Area of my Report and my report comprises of almost 10 pages.The problem is that, the image is print only on the First page, not on the whole report.

How can i settle this issue ,  so that the image comes on all the pages ?

Thanx....

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Hello Enigma85,

please check my answer in your other thread about images in page headers for RS 2005: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/72a7e4ec-dcd3-4314-aa61-0a1ce34ceb0f

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:21 PM