none
I need help to get started. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Before I continue I would like to say that I am not familiar with the topic I am asking about but at the same time I am trying to ask for direction from those who have done it. 

Here is what I am trying to do.

I am using Excel (from Office 365 ProPlus) and I have everything I need when comes to Excel itself. Just recently I learner about a thing called VBA and UserForm. I started to play with it and I have noticed that based on my goal of what I am trying to do is very limited. I find that the VBA code is limited as well as the "tools tab" of UserForm itself is limited. I download Visual Studio 2015 Community and found out that "UserForm" from that "application for Windows" (or whatever was called) has way more functions.

So therefor, I would like to use Visual Studio 2015 Community to create that "UserForm" (no matter if I am to use some Office Addon for Visual Studio 2015 Community or some other form of Addon or no addon at all and then use Visual Studio 2015 Community to do coding (if that is a smart idea) for that "UserForm". After that I would like to export that UserForm into Excel. 

So I guess my questions are:

1. What is the best language to use in Visual Studio 2015 Community that will work with Excel? (My guess is Visual Basic)

2. How do I create a "UserForm" in Visual Studio 2015 Community (what option do I click on after "New Project")? (My guess is to use that "Stand alone application for Windows" or whatever it was called. All I know when I click on it I get that what resembles the "UserForm" from Excel). I did also test the MS Office Add-on for Visual Studio 2015 Community but I cannot load the "UserForm" from there. I can go to "Developer tab" within the Excel (inside Visual Studio 2015 Community) and load it like that but that does nothing extra for me that I am trying to accomplished. This is unless I am doing it very wrong.

3. How do I now export that in Excel? (I watched videos on how to and it does not seem to be too hard but for someone like me it might be very difficult).

4. Any tips how I can learn that "Code/Language" that you guys would prefer?

5. Where can I get help files for better explanation of what each function is in that "UserForm" toolbox?

Hope you guys understand my question(s) and I hope I asked the right forum.

Thanks!

Regards,

Tetich

• Moved by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:17 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:37 PM

Answers

•  Hi Tetich,

1. c# or vb.net ( note the difference , it is not VBA)  .They are very similar language but I think c# has a larger community than vb.net.

2. You can't create vba userform in Visual Studio but you can create windows forms.

3. - you can create excel addins in visual studio . see :https://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/cc668205%28v=vs.120%29.aspx

4. I would recommend you to learn c# ,you can search for "c# introduction"" videos on internet.

5. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd30h2yb%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi Tetich,

As Mailick stated that we can using Visual Studio create Windows forms instead of userform. And we can create an add-in for Office and show the windows form in the add-in.

we can also create an document-level customization using VSTO. Here are some helpful articles for your reference:
    Create VSTO Add-ins for Office by using Visual Studio

And you can get more detail about UI customization from link below:
    Office UI Customization

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Tetich,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Your issue would be related to Excel, I help you move this case to Excel for Developers forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:16 AM
  •  Hi Tetich,

1. c# or vb.net ( note the difference , it is not VBA)  .They are very similar language but I think c# has a larger community than vb.net.

2. You can't create vba userform in Visual Studio but you can create windows forms.

3. - you can create excel addins in visual studio . see :https://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/cc668205%28v=vs.120%29.aspx

4. I would recommend you to learn c# ,you can search for "c# introduction"" videos on internet.

5. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd30h2yb%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Hi Tetich,

As Mailick stated that we can using Visual Studio create Windows forms instead of userform. And we can create an add-in for Office and show the windows form in the add-in.

we can also create an document-level customization using VSTO. Here are some helpful articles for your reference:
    Create VSTO Add-ins for Office by using Visual Studio

And you can get more detail about UI customization from link below:
    Office UI Customization

Regards & Fei

Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:25 AM
  • Hello,

I have a better understanding now. Is there a link that I can read to understand on how to port that Windows Form in Excel and still be able to get that "Form" to edit/automate my Excel?

I was also thinking about C# but never knew that it could work with Excel. In addition, since we are on C#...what's the difference between that and C++? Some people say that C# is an old language and still better while other argue that C++ is newer and better/easier. They all seem to understand that if I learn C# my life in C++ would be much easier because from what I understood is that C# has something that C++ does not have while C++ is cleaner code (maybe faster?).

Thanks!

Regards,

Tetich

Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:55 PM
  • I recommend you to visit the links Fei Xue has posted.

Regarding C#/C++ , C++ is older,faster and require much more knowledge than C#. So if you start you should go to C# first.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:05 PM