Problems using the Metro Style template.

Question

• We purchased a HP 2760p on which we installed the Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64), and then installed VS 11 dev preview. Using for example Template Visual Basic Windows Applicaton Form is working fine, but using Template Visual Basic - Metro Style Application causes a lot of errormesseges, and of many kinds.

Like this in an application where all I did was to use the Template Visual Basic - Metro Style Application - Application and the add a Button, "An unhandeled Exception occured Click here to reload the designer  Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException" Obvious I have not moved the file, only added the button, pressed run, and it did run, and then when returning to the design this message came. This is only one example of errormesseges, so I don't ask for a solution for this message, as all kind off error messeges are coming, and often VS 11 even stops responding.

(On my Win 7 PC everything runs fine, but there I cannot use the Metro Style.)

Should it be this unstable, being preview versions, or if not, do you have any suggestions of what to do ?

Thanks.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:40 AM

All replies

• @Emanuael_SE - yes this is a preview release and you will see issues.  It should have given you the option to "reload the designer" and you should try that.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    • Marked as answer by Emanuel_SE Monday, September 19, 2011 3:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Emanuel_SE Monday, September 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.

The problem is that it is completely impossible to use as it crashes non-stop.

Even if I just add a button and then saves the project, when opening it crashes, and the error messages / issues seems to be different all the time. ( The one above was just one exampel of many different.)

This problem is only when using the Metor Style.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Emanuel, it will be useful if you can share the exception details with us. You can either send us a screen shot of the designer or get exception details from Event Viewer. You can send these at navits at microsoft dot com and we will take a look.

Event Viewer

Start Event Viewer and navigate to the Windows Logs ->Application.  Filter the log by errors.  Each crash has two entries:  one for the application that crashed, and another from the .NET Runtime. Please send us details for both these entries.

Thanks,

Navit Saxena

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Hi Emanuel,

If you exit VS and then restart it, and create a new project, do you see this problem?  If so, please list the steps to reproduce this behavior.  If it still reproduces, please send the info that Navit asked for.

Thanks!

Dan

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:23 PM