none
How Can an application save a file to (x86) folder?

Question

• I developed an application in Visual Studio Community 2013 and it creates its own (x86) installation folder using the Instalshield 2015 Limited Edition. It runs fine except that when the user wants to save a file they have just created it denies access and suggest they save in a folder in the Documents folder group. How can I make it save into its own folder in the (x86) group?

Thank you

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:01 AM

Answers

• I have solved my problem. You install to [PersonalFolder] and put in any sub-folders you required. Then the application will be installed in Documents in the sub-folder(s) you nominated. You can now write new files, save them etc without any Microsoft restrictions.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:15 AM

All replies

• >I developed an application in Visual Studio Community 2013 and it creates its own (x86) installation folder using the Instalshield 2015 Limited Edition. It runs fine except that when the user wants to save a file they have just created it denies access and suggest they save in a folder in the Documents folder group. How can I make it save into its own folder in the (x86) group?

The folder you create would need to have its permissions altered to
    allow any user (assuming your application doesn't run elevated) to
    write to it. This may or may not be the best option.

If you're saving user specific information, you may be better to
    create your folder under the user's documents folder or the
    application data folder (CSIDL_APPDATA).

There's a list of OS locations for different situations. Pick the one
    that meets your needs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/bb762494(v=vs.85).aspx

Dave

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:03 AM
  • Hi Clinton,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried the solution that Dave provided, does your issue is solved or not? If not, please update your current condition, we will help you to continue researching your issue, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Thanks Dave. I would like to follow your advice but I am stuck as I am using the limited Edition of InstalShield that comes with VS 2013 and in the Project Assistant section that allows you to pre-select the installation folder it only has headings like [FavoritesFolder] but no DocumentsFolder. Do you know how to pre-select the DocumentsFolder in the InstallShield Project Installer? It has nothing that looks like CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS. 

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:59 PM
  • >Do you know how to pre-select the DocumentsFolder in the InstallShield Project Installer?

I'm afraid I don't.

I had a bad experience with InstallShield many years ago and swore
    never to have it cross my path again; so far that's been a promise
    I've managed to keep to. :)

I still do my setup projects with the 2010 IDE & the MS setup tool.
    I'm hoping the updated version of "Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
    Installer Projects" for 2017 will finally allow me to use the latest
    IDE fully.

Dave

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:28 PM
  • I gave up on Installshield and moved all my installation packages to use the Wix toolset - originally developed by Microsoft, it is not particularly easy to use but it works and is free.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:43 PM
  • I have solved my problem. You install to [PersonalFolder] and put in any sub-folders you required. Then the application will be installed in Documents in the sub-folder(s) you nominated. You can now write new files, save them etc without any Microsoft restrictions.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:15 AM
  • You install to [PersonalFolder]

That doesn't sound the right thing to do at all.

Then the application will be installed in Documents

No, don't do that.

You can now write new files, save them etc without any Microsoft restrictions.

And delete the application/create chaos.

Dave

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Clinton,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing, it will help other community members who have the same issue.

BTW, if you think your reply is helpful, please mark it as answer and that will help them to easier search your solution, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:02 AM