none
Binding Visual Studio 2015 Test Controller to Multiple IPs

Question

• I have a Visual Studio 2015 test controller with no agent machines configured. My test controller machine has 3 NICs. I'd like to use the "IP Switching" and "Use Multiple IPs" features, but I still only see traffic coming from a single IP.

I've configured logging EqtTraceLevel to 4, and set CreateTraceListener to yes. In the VSTTAgentProcess.log file generated, I see no references to either "Attempting to configure IP address:" or "Configured IP address:"

How can I tell my controller to take advantage of the multiple NICs and send traffic from all available IPs?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

>> So, I have to run everything directly from Visual Studio 2015, acting as its own controller.

If just want run your Load Test from Visual Studio 2015, we need not to use Test Controller and Test Agent in testsettings file. Please select Local execution in testsettings.

>> Since keys are unique, you can't have multiple "BindTo" keys.

So I'm afraid that we could not bind multiple IPs to Test Controller.

As far as I know, there only Test Agent for Visual Studio 2015. Because the Test Agent 2015 working with TFS/Team Service.

For test scenarios using Visual Studio 2015 and  Visual Studio Team Services or Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2015,  you won't need a test controller because Agents for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015  handle orchestration by communicating with Team Services or TFS 2015

Please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/test/lab-management/test-machines/install-configure-test-agents

And Test Controller and Test Agent for Visual Studio 2015 with Update 5 could working with Visual Studio 2015. But if you just want run your load test on local machine, I think you need not install Controller and Agent.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:49 AM

All replies

• I have a Visual Studio 2015 test controller with no agent machines configured. My test controller machine has 3 NICs. I'd like to use the "IP Switching" and "Use Multiple IPs" features, but I still only see traffic coming from a single IP.

I've configured logging EqtTraceLevel to 4, and set CreateTraceListener to yes. In the VSTTAgentProcess.log file generated, I see no references to either "Attempting to configure IP address:" or "Configured IP address:"

How can I tell my controller to take advantage of the multiple NICs and send traffic from all available IPs?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:02 PM
  • Hi Mark A. Richman,

As far as I know, we could bind IP address for Controller throughXML configuration file located in <drive letter:>\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ QTAgentService.exe.config. Please try add BindTo key in <appSettings> tag as below.

<add key="BindTo" value="<YOUR IP ADDRESS>"/>

Since I don't have a machine with multiple NICs, I suggest you try add several BindTo keys in your machine to check whether it works. But according to my experience for configuration file, we often include a unique key in one configuration file.

In addition, the Test that use Test Controller and Test Agent will be run on the Test Agent machine. Could you please tell us why do you want to bind multiple IPs to Test Controller? We often set the IP switch on Test Agent, not Test Controller.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:18 AM
  • I do not have any other machines available on which to install agents. So, I have to run everything directly from Visual Studio 2015, acting as its own controller. Since keys are unique, you can't have multiple "BindTo" keys.

Also, is there a VS 2015 agent download link? I only see VS 2013 options online.

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Hi Mark,

>> So, I have to run everything directly from Visual Studio 2015, acting as its own controller.

If just want run your Load Test from Visual Studio 2015, we need not to use Test Controller and Test Agent in testsettings file. Please select Local execution in testsettings.

>> Since keys are unique, you can't have multiple "BindTo" keys.

So I'm afraid that we could not bind multiple IPs to Test Controller.

As far as I know, there only Test Agent for Visual Studio 2015. Because the Test Agent 2015 working with TFS/Team Service.

For test scenarios using Visual Studio 2015 and  Visual Studio Team Services or Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2015,  you won't need a test controller because Agents for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015  handle orchestration by communicating with Team Services or TFS 2015

Please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/test/lab-management/test-machines/install-configure-test-agents

And Test Controller and Test Agent for Visual Studio 2015 with Update 5 could working with Visual Studio 2015. But if you just want run your load test on local machine, I think you need not install Controller and Agent.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:49 AM