none
display files or folders by user that they only created RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , Here is my requirement.

i have document library its contains few folders like folder1,folder2.

folder 1 can access by user1 and user 2.

folder 2 can access by user3 and user 4.

suppose in folder 1 -> if user 1 created a file or folder subfolder1, then that file (subfolder1) can see only user 1 until and unless he shares he shares to other users.

if subfolder1 shared to user2 then user2 also can access subfolder 1.

similar to 

suppose in folder 2 -> if user 2 created a file or folder subfolder2, then that file (subfolder2) can see only user 2 until and unless he shares he shares to other users.

if subfolder2 shared to user1 then user1 also can access subfolder 2.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi sandy,

you can create a view page and enter My Documents in the View Name. So, that it only display your items in it.

Below articles for your reference:

http://icansharepoint.com/how-to-create-a-my-documents-view-in-a-sharepoint-library/

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Create-quot-My-Document-quot-views-in-SharePoint-to-see-only/td-p/36610

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:48 PM
  • If you want to limite the user access like someone only view the objects what he created, you can modify the view setting and change filter policy like this:

If you share the folder to someone, then he can have permission to access your folder and objects, you need to stop Subfolder2's inheritance from parent level and share it with User1 if needed. 

• Edited by Byron1115 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

If you require to show the subfolders or files only to the author, you can create a filter for the current view as Sharath suggested. Please note that this method involves all the users who have access to this library.

To achieve your requirement without affecting other contents in this library, you can grant unique permission to every subfolder user has created within this folder. You can also set target audience for items in the subfolders, which doesn’t require permissions.

Please refer to the link below for detailed information.

Target content to specific audiences.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/target-content-to-specific-audiences-33d84cb6-14ed-4e53-a426-74c38ea32293#ID0EABAAA=SharePoint_Server_2010_-_2019

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi Sandy,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:21 AM
  • As SharePoint will only show you what you have access too, you'll need to break inheritance too all items and give individual permissions. But there is a limit to how many items in a list can have this as it'll hit performance, a view here doesn't really help you if everyone has the READ permission as that's set on all items.

You should maybe think about your permissions and document structure before making any major changes.

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:39 AM
  • As SharePoint will only show you what you have access too, you'll need to break inheritance too all items and give individual permissions. But there is a limit to how many items in a list can have this as it'll hit performance, a view here doesn't really help you if everyone has the READ permission as that's set on all items.

You should maybe think about your permissions and document structure before making any major changes.

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

I'd fully agree with this comment.

An additional comment I'd make here is when using views as suggested, these aren't a substitution for permissions being managed, they're just a smoke and mirror mechanism.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:43 AM
    Answerer