none
Simple question about kinect tilt angle and skeleton coordinate RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a implemented function in SDK 1.0 to convert automatically the kinect  skeleton coordinates (with the z axis pointing in the same direction of the kinect camera)   into the real world coordinate ( with the z axis parallel to the floor)? Or have I to implement it myself using a trasformation matrix ?

Best regards Marco

Friday, April 6, 2012 9:22 AM

Answers

• No there is no function like that

But you could update the elevation angel of the tilt motor your self.

You should tilt the Kinect sensor as few times as possible, to minimize wear on the sensor and to minimize tilting time. The tilt motor is not designed for constant or repetitive movement, and attempts to use it that way can cause degradation of motor function. To reduce wear on the Kinect sensor's tilt motor, your application can change the elevation angle no more than once per second. In addition, you must allow at least 20 seconds of rest after 15 consecutive changes. If your application exceeds these limits, additional attempts to set the elevation angle during the lockout period will result in an error code.

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by MohamedSakr Friday, April 6, 2012 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by pikkki Saturday, April 7, 2012 1:16 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• Is there a implemented function in SDK 1.0 to convert automatically the kinect  skeleton coordinates (with the z axis pointing in the same direction of the kinect camera)   into the real world coordinate ( with the z axis parallel to the floor)? Or have I to implement it myself using a trasformation matrix ?

Best regards Marco

Kind of confused at the wording of your question. If you're asking if the SDK converts skeleton coordinates (of joints) to real world coordinates. Yes it does, you don't have to do any conversions yourself.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 10:53 AM
  • I know that the coordinate system of skeleton joint are in meters like the real world one! My question is if the skd automatically correct his coordinate system as a function of the tilt angle of the kinect ( or the normal to the floor). Hoping to be clear enough.

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:16 PM
  • No there is no function like that

But you could update the elevation angel of the tilt motor your self.

You should tilt the Kinect sensor as few times as possible, to minimize wear on the sensor and to minimize tilting time. The tilt motor is not designed for constant or repetitive movement, and attempts to use it that way can cause degradation of motor function. To reduce wear on the Kinect sensor's tilt motor, your application can change the elevation angle no more than once per second. In addition, you must allow at least 20 seconds of rest after 15 consecutive changes. If your application exceeds these limits, additional attempts to set the elevation angle during the lockout period will result in an error code.

Thanks,
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by MohamedSakr Friday, April 6, 2012 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by pikkki Saturday, April 7, 2012 1:16 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Sensor coordinates are the world coordinates - it's all about the point of view :)

Sorry, there is no such a function.

But you can use either the tilt angle or the floor plane returned by the engine to do the transformation to your coordinates.

Hope this helps.

- Mauro Giusti. ----------------------------------------------------- There is only one way to do the job: the right way. (Gus)

Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Many thanks for the answer. I'll implement myself a trasformation matrix to obtain the values in the desidered coordinate! Maybe implement a function like this directly in the new realase of the sdk  can be useful.

Best Marco

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Thanks for you too

But please close the question by mark as answer or vote as helpful if it helped you

Thanks,

Saturday, April 7, 2012 1:01 PM