none
Excel 2013 Pivot with Power Pivot Source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I would like to know what is the behaviour of Excel when you refresh a Pivot which has a Powerpivot source.
    Are the data in the Powerpivot refreshed or the Pivot is just refreshed with the data that are stored in the model when the user opened it?

Thanks

Pete
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 10:26 AM

Answers

• It refreshes the data for the user, if he clicks refresh, but it will not update the data model.

The data model is the first source of data, which is displayed, when opening and it is refreshed from within the file.

• Proposed as answer by Vlad Țepeș Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by ms_bi_pete Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Hi Pete,

According to your description, you need to know the behavior of Excel when you refresh a Pivot which has a PowerPivot source, right?

I have tested it on my local environment, I create a PowerPivot data model connect to SQL Server database, then create a Pivot table based on this data model. Then I update one record in the database. When I click the refresh button on Pivot table, the data both in Pivot table and PowerPivot data model were refreshed. And when I click the refresh button on PowerPivot data model, the data both in Pivot table and PowerPivot data model were refreshed.

So the data in the PowerPivot refreshed when clicking refresh button in Pivot table.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:23 AM

All replies

• It refreshes the data for the user, if he clicks refresh, but it will not update the data model.

The data model is the first source of data, which is displayed, when opening and it is refreshed from within the file.

• Proposed as answer by Vlad Țepeș Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Hi Pete,

According to your description, you need to know the behavior of Excel when you refresh a Pivot which has a PowerPivot source, right?

I have tested it on my local environment, I create a PowerPivot data model connect to SQL Server database, then create a Pivot table based on this data model. Then I update one record in the database. When I click the refresh button on Pivot table, the data both in Pivot table and PowerPivot data model were refreshed. And when I click the refresh button on PowerPivot data model, the data both in Pivot table and PowerPivot data model were refreshed.

So the data in the PowerPivot refreshed when clicking refresh button in Pivot table.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:23 AM