none
A few questions on how to tweek the Entity Designer Extension Starter Kit RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded and installed the Entity Designer Starter Kit.  I've created a project and have customized that project to allow me to add (for now) three attributes for each field value:  See Below:

As you can see above, the Extension is working...on VS 2010, however, we want to use VS 2012, and It doesn't seem to work in VS 2012. The extension shows up as an installed extension in the Extension Manager in both versions (see below), but does nothing in 2012.  :(

Also, on the ListType Property (see above), we'd like to have an enumeration of values, Default, Query, List, etc.  like the Type enumeration just above it...  How do we instruct the designer to display an enumeration?

Thanks loads for your help!!

Bob
    MarketWare

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

This extension is not updated since the year 2010 and there is not a VS 2012 version.

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/DesignerExtStartKit

However from Mehdi58’s suggestion in this thread, you can try to change the .vsix extension to .zip and edit the .vsixmanifest file. Changing VisualStudio Version to “11.0” and SupportedFrameworkRuntimeEdition MaxVersion to “4.5” to see whether you can use the extension successfully.

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Thank you.  I did try changing the version information (see Manifest below)... but it had no effect.  It doesn't seem to recognize and run the extension for 2012 for some reason...  Do you see anything obvious that I've missed in the manifest?  Also, I made this change in the IsEntityFrameworkV2Model(Project project) method:

efV2Model = (frameworkName.Version.Major == 4.5);

Oh, and one more thing...the extension DOES show up in the Extension Manager, it just doesn't do any thing when I create a new model from a Database or from scratch.

Also, what about the ability to have one of my custom properties a drop down list (enum??).  I want to make it easy for users (predominantly me) to set the value of the ListType. 

Thanks!!!

bob

<Identifier Id="MarketWare Entity Extension">
        <Name>MarketWareEntityExtension</Name>
        <Author>Bob Bartel</Author>
        <Version>1.1</Version>
        <Description>This sample demonstrates ADO.NET Entity Designer extensibility in Visual Studio 2010/12.</Description>
        <Locale>1033</Locale>
        <MoreInfoUrl>http://www.msdn.com/data</MoreInfoUrl>
        <GettingStartedGuide>http://www.msdn.com/data</GettingStartedGuide>
        <InstalledByMsi>false</InstalledByMsi>
        <SupportedProducts>
          <VisualStudio Version="11.0">
            <Edition>VSTS</Edition>
            <Edition>VSTD</Edition>
            <Edition>Pro</Edition>
            <Edition>Express_All</Edition>
          </VisualStudio>
            <VisualStudio Version="10.0">