Code::Blocks IDE and Windows 8x64

Question

• Hello,

I use Code::Blocks open source IDE to write my programs. I noticed that that when I compile and run the code from Code::Blocks the exe files do not run. However the code has been compiled correctly and I am able to run the compiled exe file manually.

Looking for solutions.

Thx

• Moved by BillFillMicrosoft employee Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:51 PM Dev (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:14 PM

Answers

• Illuminati5288: Have you tried asking this question in the codeblocks forum? The devs will be interested in solving any specific problems with Windows 8, as codeblocks was designed to be cross-platform.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

so based on the Code::Blocks web page, it appears that you are building native C++ applications.  What compiler/linker is it using underneath?  How is Code::Blocks launching the application i.e. Win32 API CreateProcess call? If you open task manager processes, does the process even get started? 

thanks!

Mike Wong

Microsoft Developer Support

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hello Mike,

It uses the GNU GCC Compiler.  I opened task manager and checked that Win32 API CreateProcess does not get started.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion, the process in task manager is the name of your process that you are launching from Code::Blocks not "CreateProcess".  Createprocess is just one programmatic way for us to start a process.  I was wondering if you knew how Code::Blocks is starting your program.  We might be able to dupe it in a smaller console application if we understood how the tool launches the process?  Do you get any errors from Code::Blocks when it launches the process?

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Hey Mike,

I do not get any error while I try to run my program. When I click on compile and run , I get a message that it compiled with zero errors and my program opens in a dos window. In the task manager I am able to see both code::blocks and the cmd window and its associated processes.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:59 AM
  • Hello Illuminati5288,

I think I misunderstood the problem - I thought there was an issue when launching your program from Code::Blocks or does it look like that is working now?

thanks again,

mike

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Still the problem is not solved.

Thx

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hello,

so earlier you mentioned:

"I do not get any error while I try to run my program. When I click on compile and run , I get a message that it compiled with zero errors and my program opens in a dos window. In the task manager I am able to see both code::blocks and the cmd window and its associated processes."

it looks like the program is launching from the above description.  What is happening after that point?  Also to move further on this issue, I will need some understanding of how Code::Blocks is launching the application e.g. what API are they using to launch the process.  Since Microsoft does not produce this tool, have the authors of Code::Blocks commented on using their tool in Windows 8 Developer Preview?

any additional information is much appreciated,

mike

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Illuminati5288: Have you tried asking this question in the codeblocks forum? The devs will be interested in solving any specific problems with Windows 8, as codeblocks was designed to be cross-platform.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:19 PM