Disable the main web page RRS feed

• Question

• In a release environment is possible to disable the main DSS web page? I'd rather avoid having users access this and messing around.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:40 AM

Answers

• No, we don't provide a way to do this. The web server is built into DssHost. Access is protected via the Security Settings however.

Even if you disabled the main page, you could still browse to a service directly because services implement HttpGet by default. To suppress this you would have to add a HttpGet handler that returns nothing. Of course, a HttpGet does not allow the user to do much except see the service state (unless you provide a sophisticated XSLT to create a UI).

Trevor

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:10 AM

All replies

• No, we don't provide a way to do this. The web server is built into DssHost. Access is protected via the Security Settings however.

Even if you disabled the main page, you could still browse to a service directly because services implement HttpGet by default. To suppress this you would have to add a HttpGet handler that returns nothing. Of course, a HttpGet does not allow the user to do much except see the service state (unless you provide a sophisticated XSLT to create a UI).

Trevor

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:10 AM
  • I haven't looked at the whole security side of things yet in any detail. So we could create a special access on a single service? Can the security be applied differently on a per service basis?

Also does the security work on Compact Framework? I click on the link and it doesn't jump to the security settings.

The default HttpGet isn't an issue.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:52 PM