none
How To Expand a SubForm to Full Screen? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I developed an application with a rather complex subform residing within a main form.  The user would like to "click a button" to expand the subform to full screen size.  It would still have to have the behavior of a sub-form, but be larger so it is easier for the user to enter data.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:01 PM

Answers

• OP should be able to put 2 buttons - 'Expand' that open form separately & 'Shrink' that would close the separate form and then see the original form/subform.

The second instance query will need to use the main form as criteria in it's query.

Build a little, test a little

• Edited by QA Guy CommElec Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, September 21, 2015 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi. Not sure exactly what you're saying but have you tried opening a separate instance of the subform? Just curious...
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:09 PM
  • OP should be able to put 2 buttons - 'Expand' that open form separately & 'Shrink' that would close the separate form and then see the original form/subform.

The second instance query will need to use the main form as criteria in it's query.

Build a little, test a little

• Edited by QA Guy CommElec Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, September 21, 2015 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:47 PM
  • I developed an application with a rather complex subform residing within a main form.  The user would like to "click a button" to expand the subform to full screen size.  It would still have to have the behavior of a sub-form, but be larger so it is easier for the user to enter data.  Any ideas?

Hi Rich,

In my systematics I do not use main form/subform combinations in the way that is standard in Access. Instead each "subform" is in fact a main form in its self.

The parent-child relation is then established by passing the main form's PK to the other (main) form, making it a kind of "subform", at least when you view it in terms of data relation. In the "subform", the parent form is known as the prev_form object, so all parent data is available in the "subform".

This is not an answer to what you are looking for, but you can share it under the "Any ideas?"

Imb.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:00 PM
  • Rich,

If it were me, I would eliminate the sub-form, collectively "Form2," on your main form, collectively "Form1," all together.  In it's place I would just have a button to open Form2 as a separate window.  This will solve your client's requirement and will cut down on the overhead of two instances of Form2. 

Just a suggestion...

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Hello All Contributors:

All your ideas could have solved my issue, but I selected as the answer the approach I used, since for the existing code it was the quickest way to solve the issue.  I just cloned the subform and created a new form.  The new form would be called from the main form with a button near the subform.  The cloned form would open and then I used the Primary Key of the main form to limit the records.  The new form was opened in Modal mode so they had to finish it before continuing.

Before I opened up the new form, I made sure the subform was not dirty.

Thanks for all you assistance.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Monday, September 21, 2015 1:25 AM
  • Hi Rich. Congratulations on finding a solution that works for you. Good luck with your project.

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:04 AM