none
Running locally not getting prompted to install Azure Function Core Tools RRS feed

• Question

• According to this Microsoft articles, it says to test function locally I will be prompted to install tools but I didnt get any prompt.  What could I be missing?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-your-first-function-visual-studio

Test the function locally

Azure Functions Core Tools lets you run an Azure Functions project on your local development computer. You are prompted to install these tools the first time you start a function from Visual Studio.

1. To test your function, press F5. If prompted, accept the request from Visual Studio to download and install Azure Functions Core (CLI) tools. You may also need to enable a firewall exception so that the tools can handle HTTP requests.

• Edited by kumal Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:50 PM

All replies

• Decided to just install the Core tools manually, still issues.  Now it says project of type class library cannot be started directly.   I didnt choose the class library template, I chose and am using the Azure Function project template, what gives?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:11 PM
  • It really sounds like there is something wrong with your functions VS tools. When you make a function app it is a class library, but the VS tools know how to run it using the azure-functions-core-tools. 

I'd try these steps here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-develop-vs#check-your-tools-version

Specifically, the UI shown in the screenshot should show that you're using 15.0.40108.0 

Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:51 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I am using VS Professional 15.6.1. The Azure Function and webjob Tool is 15.0.40215.  Shall i downgrade them?!

Any feedback is appreciated, it is very frustrating....i started building azure functions in the portal and really want to move them back to VS.

Thank you.

Friday, March 16, 2018 3:31 PM
  • So i decided to reinstall the azure tools and looks like it started working, although the last time I tried to run the function it again gave me the error about cant start a class library, but it is progress.  

Friday, March 16, 2018 6:50 PM