none
How to update project field without blocking the workflow execution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement where the workflow at certain point adds item to custom SharePoint list to allow another department to specify certain project information.

The workflow shouldn't wait until the department set the requested project information, it should move to the next activity and when the department set the requested project information, they should be reflected to the project custom fields.

Is there anyway to do that?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:35 AM

Answers

• I solved it by utilizing SharePoint job.

I added a custom database table to track the changes that should be reflected to the projects. Also, I crearted SharePoint job to reflect the changes from the custom table to the project using PSI.

To make it clear:

1. At certain point, the workflow adds item to custom SharePoint list which is used by another department to supply project infomration let say like Project Number. The custom list contains the following fields: ProjectNumber, ProjectUid
    2. Once the other department enters the project number and through event reciever, a new row with ProjectNumber and ProjectUid is added to the custom database table.
    3. Create new SharePoint job and write the code that should read form the custom database table and update each project with its project number based on the project UID.
    4. Delete the processed rows from the custom table.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:11 PM