updating PNG files in a HTML page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the website, www.sb-ssa.com, under Leagues / Data the Standings and Statistics information is updated weekly. I use PNG files as the data. I am able to import the PNG files, one for Standings and 16 for Statistics properly. However, the HTML files where the PNG files are linked do not update. I have to delete the old PNG files and link the new PNG files.

Is there a way to do this automatically or is there another technique to accomplish this? In Adobe GoLive CS2, I was able to use a SmartPDF to accomplsih this.

Thank you.

Joe

Joe
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:01 AM

All replies

• If the new png file name/location is different from the original, of course you have to update the link in the HTML file to reflect any changes (how else would the browser know?).  I'm not sure if that was your question - it wasn't clear.

I have no idea what SmartPDF has to do with this.   That's for editing PDFs, isn't it?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Kathy,

Thanks for the feedback. The file being uploaded will have the identical file name. The content and date will be changed. I tried to recalcualte the link with Tool / Recalcualte Links. That did not help.

SmartPDF has nothing to do with this.

Joe

Joe
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:27 AM
  • If the file names are identical, there is no need to change the links.  Why would you need to recalculate the links?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Kathy,

After I upload the new PNGs through Import / File, they are in the correct folder. However, the HTML files where the PNGs reside are the old PNGs, not the new ones. I have no idea why the new PNGs are not replacing the old PNGs. That is why I attempted to recalculate the link with Tool / Recalculate Links.

Joe

Joe
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:03 AM
  • You say, "After I upload the new PNGs through Import / File, they are in the correct folder." What is the "correct" folder? Is it the same folder as before, in which case the new image should appear, or a different folder, in which case the link is still looking in the old location for the image, and, of course, finding the old image?

If you have two identically named images in two different folders, EW has no way of knowing which one you meant to link to. After seeing a path for one of your Standings images that looks like this

src="../../../../Images/Statistics/2011/2011_2_Spring/2011_Spring_Statistics_Summary_PNG_Page_03.png"

it's a wonder what your folder structure must really look like. If you do have two such identically named images in different folders, Recalculate Hyperlinks wouldn't do much good, I imagine, since EW would look at the link, look in the location specified, and there the file would be.

That's some really, really horrendously junky code. I tried GoLive once back around version 5.1, IIRC, (I think, anyway; it came in an Adobe Web Suite with Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, and god forbid, LiveMotion) and gave it up immediately. It produced more crap than even FrontPage did, which I had left behind a couple of years earlier, and I wasn't about to revert to that again.

If you're going to try to maintain that site in EW, you should really give some thought to rebuilding it using modern standards based markup. The site is really very simple, and could be rebuilt in a day or so, especially if you created a DWT. Think about it...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:54 AM
  • My guess  (and I am having to guess - you aren't being very clear I'm afraid) is that you are simply saying that the new ones don't show in a browser, after you've replaced the old with the new identically named and located file.  If that's what you are talking about, that's nothing to do with EW and everything to do with your browser cache.  Reload the page.  A link that doesn't change - same name, same location - simply, well, doesn't change.  You don't need to do anything to it.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Are you making sure the new files are published to the server?

If you add your image editing program to the list of editors in Tools > Application Options > Configure Editors,
    and then with the web open in expression right click your PND and select open with and select your editor, EW will know the file has been changed / updated,.

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi to all whp responded.

The issue I rported on above disappeared when I downloaded SP2. It seems the issue was repoted earlier. See http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/fi-FI/web/thread/83f8457d-b63a-49a6-8a07-732debe7ea97.

Thank you for helping. As I use EW more, I make fewer mistakes. I am getting close to finishing. See http://www.sb-ssa.com/index.html.

Joe

Joe
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:06 PM