Localizing FileUpload control RRS feed

• Question

• User-136342144 posted

Hi

How do I localize FileUpload control, specifically the "Browse..." button.

Thanks in advancce

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:55 AM

Answers

• User764555827 posted

Hi,

You don't localize it on the server (your ASP.NET application). It's a client-side control so it's automatically displayed according to the end-user language.

For instance, a user running your ASP.NET application on a German computer will see the upload button in german.

Hope this helps,

Arnaud 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:07 AM
  • User764555827 posted

Well, I don't really see the problem.

Suppose the languages of your site are English and Arabic. An Arabic user wants to see the site and the "Upload" button in his language, and that's exactly what he'll get if he uses an Arabic version of Windows (in fact, an Arabic version of Internet Explorer or his browser).

Hope this helps,

Arnaud

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:23 AM

All replies

• User764555827 posted

Hi,

You don't localize it on the server (your ASP.NET application). It's a client-side control so it's automatically displayed according to the end-user language.

For instance, a user running your ASP.NET application on a German computer will see the upload button in german.

Hope this helps,

Arnaud 

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:07 AM
  • User365863651 posted

I'm trying to create a website that can display things in multi language.

This is a problem because i need the browse button to be displayed in 4 possible languages.

I have all the standard texts on labels, buttons etc using resource manager. Couldn't we set

the uiculture or culture info to change the browse button to be displayed in the right language?

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:03 AM
  • User764555827 posted

Well, I don't really see the problem.

Suppose the languages of your site are English and Arabic. An Arabic user wants to see the site and the "Upload" button in his language, and that's exactly what he'll get if he uses an Arabic version of Windows (in fact, an Arabic version of Internet Explorer or his browser).

Hope this helps,

Arnaud

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:23 AM
  • User226732123 posted

What if the user is not using a computer with an Arabic version of Windows?  Let's say he's traveling in the US, using the hotel's English computer, and he visits a site that has English and Arabic.  The site should enable the user to click on "Arabic" to see the site in Arabic.  When he sees the FileUpload control button, it doesn't show "Browse..." in Arabic.  How do we make the button display Arabic or any other language or text?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:25 AM
  • User764555827 posted

Hey Curt,

If the user was able to make it all the way to the US, find a computer with and Internet connection and start a browser, all in English, then he will understand what "Browse" means... 

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:47 PM
  • User521525002 posted

I am having the same problem.  My browser is set to ja (japanese), but when I view my page with a FileUpload control, "Browse" still appears.  From what you said, wouldn't I expect it to be something in Japanese?

Monday, March 3, 2008 11:26 AM
  • User764555827 posted

I understand this may seem strange, but no, setting your language to "ja" doesn't make the "Browse..." button appear in English. Read on and you'll understand.

To see the "Browse" button in Japanese, you need to use a Japanese browser. Either because your OS is Japanese or you managed to run your browser in Japanese. If your browser's menu is in English, the "Browse..." button on any page will be in English too.

When you set your browser to say that Japanese is your preferred language, you are simply telling the Web site that you want Japanese content. But the Web site cannot change your browser's language... So you'll see the pages in Japanese (if the site supports it), but the Browse button in English.

Anyway, if one of your user understands only Japanese, he will use a Japanese browser, so his "Browse..." button will be in Japanese. 

Is this clear? :-) 

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:17 PM
  • User521525002 posted

Thanks.. I understand.. But I also disagree and think this is pretty dumb.  Say you have a kiosk or a shared machine with an English browser and OS, but you want to allow English and French users, so your main screen asks users what language they want to use.  If they only understand French the whole website is in French except for the browse button.  There's a CSS/JS workaround.  I think I'll try that.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 2:18 PM
  • User-582570033 posted

MrNick,

Did the CSS/JS workaround work?  If so, can you share it with me?

aweil,

I agree with MrNick.  It is very dumb for the button to say “Browse…” when the rest of the wepages are in French or Arabic.  Even if the person made it to the US and is using the hotel’s English computer, if the person visits an Arabic or French site, then all of the text on the site should be Arabic or French.  It’s dumb that the button still says “Browse…”

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:58 PM
  • User-1894070134 posted

I am also struggling with localizing the FileUpload control -- the browser button needs to be localized. I know Microsoft must provide support for this, but it isn't working for me even when the browser language is changed to something like Spanish or French. All of the other text of the page except the Browse button of the FileUpload control is correctly localized, and I don't understand why this is not working correctly.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:27 PM
  • User-537655996 posted

it is simple just make an upload control and make it as style="display:none" and add a textbox and a button looks like upload control and add localization to that textbox and button and onclick of the button will fire the event of clicking upload

then ur problem solved

Monday, June 29, 2009 6:42 AM
  • User-1946360360 posted

Hi,

Just a doubt on your answer. So if the OS is in English, then is there any way I can see the Browse button in german or french ( rest of my application is in that language, but for browse button) ??

I tried adding another language to the Language setting in IE. But even that didnt help.

Please Advice.

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:51 AM