none
Sharepoint Backup - CA vs SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does SharePoint CA Farm backups also do SQL Backups?

Must I always use SQL backups to truncate the transaction log or any other reason?

I'm planning to keep things simple and set the Recovery mode to simple and then there will be no need for logs backup (loosing the recovery windows with one full backup at night).

What simple recommendations do you suggest.

Thank you so much,

DD

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi DD,

If you can afford to loose the data between the two cosecutive check points (around 24 hours in case of Simple Recovery Model), then it should be fine.

Yes, CA backups do backup all databases as well.

Backup in sharePoint is a broad subject and can be debated. You should choose the best for your requirment. 

For example, log shiipping is one of the best example for Disaster Recovery models (in even hot stand by mode), now SQL always on also being used on majority of implementation. 

Some people only back the Farm Configuration from CA.

Overall it depends on your need. I suggest to read both CA and SQL Backup articles.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663490.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg266384.aspx

One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure its worth watching....

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi Kamal,

Does the CA backups also perform the SQL logs backups?

Thank you,

DD

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:05 PM
  • Hi DD,

I am not 100% sure, but I think it shall store it upto the last check point.

Logically its a snapshot of the current status of SharePoint Farm/Web, it shall not back up the logs.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure its worth watching....

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi Dev,

Using SQL tool you cannot take full Backup farm if you want to back up the complete farm, you must use either Windows PowerShell or Central Administration.

Using SQL: SQL full and differential backups enable us to bring back the SharePoint sites and config db almost 100 percent. This is comparatively the fastest backup and restore method, with more reliability than the above methods. However, lacks backup of farm, IIS settings and search crawl indexes, which will have to be done manually.

Come to next point: Does the CA backups also perform the SQL logs backups? Yes, SharePoint backup backs up remote Binary Large Object (BLOB) stores but only if you are using the FILESTREAM remote BLOB store provider to put data in remote BLOB stores.

Regards, Prashant Please click the 'Mark as Answer' if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful! :)

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:02 AM