Third party Certificate not showing up in SQL configuration manager drop down box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an SQL instance that needs to use a third party SSL certificate for all communications to that SQL instance. I have installed my third party certificate via MMC and it is showing under the Personal Folder.

However, when i go into the SQL configuration manager and right click the instance name > Properties > Certificates, it is not showing in the drop down box.

I am currently using MS SQL Server 2008 R2, which is installed on Windows Server 2012. 

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the certificate cannot be used for SQL Server and hence will not be visible in SQL Configuration manager. Check the validity of the installed certificate. It may not has the correct DNS name.

I suggest you request a new third party certificate from the vendor with the correct DNS name. Install it on SQL Server environment, then you should see certificate form the configuration manager dropdown box.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:36 AM

All replies

• Possible cause, see How to: Enable Encrypted Connections to the Database Engine (SQL Server Configuration Manager) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191192.aspx

Certificates are stored locally for the users on the computer. To install a
    certificate for use by SQL Server, you must be running SQL Server Configuration
    Manager under the same user account as the SQL Server service unless the service
    is running as LocalSystem, NetworkService, or LocalService, in which case you
    may use an administrative account.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:56 PM
  • I am running the SQL server service as LocalSystem, and i am logged in as a domain administrative user.

However, i still can't see my certificate in the drop down box at the sql configuration manager.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

If the certificate cannot be used for SQL Server and hence will not be visible in SQL Configuration manager. Check the validity of the installed certificate. It may not has the correct DNS name.

I suggest you request a new third party certificate from the vendor with the correct DNS name. Install it on SQL Server environment, then you should see certificate form the configuration manager dropdown box.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:36 AM
  • I just deployed a testing environment with only one instance of the sql server in one host vm. I am able to see the certificate in the drop down list of the sql configuration manager.

however, in my production environment, there are 3 instances of sql servers in one host vm. i need to enable SSL for one of the instances. Even though the way of creating the certificates for the testing environment and production environment are the same, i am still unable to see the certificate in the drop down list of the sql configuration manager for the production environment.

Is there anything that i need to modify such that the settings for 3 instances of sql server in the host may be different as compared to only 1 instance of sql server in the host?

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:20 AM