No native resolution on Windows 8 with 20" HP w2007 monitor

Question

• Hi, I have a 20" HP w2007w monitor, GeForce 7300 GS and I can't get Windows running at the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050). Maximum resolution available - 1600x1200. Anyone's having the same problem?
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi, I have a 20" HP w2007w monitor, GeForce 7300 GS and I can't get Windows running at the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050). Maximum resolution available - 1600x1200. Anyone's having the same problem?
    I had a problem like this when I first installed Windows 8 (on hardware), but it went away after I restarted the machine. This happened when I had two monitiors attached; I am only using one 1680x1050 monitor now (in order to reproduce the single screen experience that I would have on a tablet).

I am using Radeon HD 5570 video card in VGA mode.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Have you installed the newest drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website. Some video drivers are also available using Windows Update.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi, I have a 20" HP w2007w monitor, GeForce 7300 GS and I can't get Windows running at the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050). Maximum resolution available - 1600x1200. Anyone's having the same problem?
    OK, this happened to me again in the middle of a session. I was messing around with the Metro emulator, and with Remote Desktop, so I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I suddenly noticed that my resolution did not seem right, and when I went to correct it my native resolution of 1680x1050 was not available.

But I found that if I hit the Detect button the correct resolution appeared (and was automatically selected I think).

Does that work for you?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi there!

Are you using VirtualBox to install Windows 8 DE?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:14 PM
    I had a problem like this when I first installed Windows 8 (on hardware), but it went away after I restarted the machine. This happened when I had two monitiors attached; I am only using one 1680x1050 monitor now (in order to reproduce the single screen experience that I would have on a tablet).

I am using Radeon HD 5570 video card in VGA mode.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Have you installed the newest drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website. Some video drivers are also available using Windows Update.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:26 PM
    OK, this happened to me again in the middle of a session. I was messing around with the Metro emulator, and with Remote Desktop, so I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I suddenly noticed that my resolution did not seem right, and when I went to correct it my native resolution of 1680x1050 was not available.

But I found that if I hit the Detect button the correct resolution appeared (and was automatically selected I think).

Does that work for you?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:42 AM