none
VSTO Outlook Addin Ribbon Group Not Showing on Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• By following this answer on SO, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24247405/outlook-addin-home-tab-with-custom-button I was able to get it working so that my new ribbon group with a button in it was displaying after the delete group in the main tab of read message window.  It was working perfectly.  But I added a second button.  And it stopped working. I can't figure out why and I did a lot of work so I'm not sure what change caused the issue.  Unfortuantely my TFS is throwing errors so I have only been able to use git  so far as  push the project folder to a bitbucket repo.  So rolling back will be a pain.  

I honestly don't think any changes should've caused the issue as the group does appear in the correct place when you go to Customize the Ribbon.  They are just greyed out.  Here is a screenshot http://postimg.org/image/d0z7i9yuf/ 

As you can see the Archive and Archive As commands are greyed out.  Before they were not.  The addin is loaded, and has not been disabled by Outlook.  No errors are thrown but it does nothing until a button is clicked.  The only action done on startup is the creation of two dictionaries and some adding to them.  Maybe 40 adds to two dicts.  But this existed before it stopped working properly.  

Now when I go back and try to set the properties on the tab and group back to the way they are by default (Add-ins tab on the read message window).  It doesn't seem to work then either.

Any help would be much appreciated as I've been trying to tackle this a while.

If you need more information let me know.

Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hello Shenkan,

Could you please be more specific?

> But I added a second button.  And it stopped working.

What ribbon XML markup do you use now? Where do you return in in the GetCustomUI method? I.e. what context is used?

Do you get any UI errors? See How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors for more information.

Sunday, May 17, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Not using ribbon XML markup as I'm not sure how to convert my designer code to XML.  What stopped working is the group with the buttons stopped showing on the ribbon.   They are in the right spot but greyed out if you go to Customize Ribbon.  Converting to XML may be the answer.  How can I convert my Ribbon to XML?

I don't see how to add the event handlers with an XML ribbon.  In designer, the load event handler and click event handlers are added in the behind code file.  But XML doesn't have that file so I don't know what to do there.  Also I'm not sure how to set the tab, group, and button properties in the ribbon XML.  Any reference you can provide to converting designer code to XML code?

• Edited by cshenkan Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:36 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

About export a ribbon from the ribbon designer to ribbon xml, please refer to this article:

# Export a Ribbon from the Ribbon Designer to Ribbon XML

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386297.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Then please post the detail xml code here.

On the other hand, it would be better that you could share a sample project that could reproduce that issue on the OneDrive.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:26 AM