The Lack of participation for Windows 8 and Office for TechNet/MSDN subscribers

General discussion

• for years,

I 've been able to participant in the beta testing process on Windows operating systems, and Oiffce product. This years it seem Microsoft is forgoing the process of allowig there featured products to be tested by MSDN/TechNet subcribers before the general public beta.  First you punish the entire TechNet community for the deeds of a few rogue subscribers by reducing our activations. Now it appears we're bening made irrelivent again by making us wait for beta with the general public.  I for one will not me renewing my subscription this year. I'm sure there is someplace else I can spend my $300 a year on.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Ret,

This is not an Office Forum but I can tell you about the Windows 8 Preview.  You can download the OS preview, client for x64 and x86 here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516/

MSDN Subscribers can access the Server version with the link at the bottom of the page.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Server is only available for MSDN Subscribers.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Ah yes, good point Andre!  Sorry I will edit the previous reply.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Thank you RetFireRX. I was thinking the same thing. I understand that TAPs get stuff early but now what is the point of Technet or MSDN if proper pro IT people have to wade through all the dirge on here like 'how do I dual boot?' 'how do I go back to win7?' 'how do I access the start menu?' from children.
    It is a developer preview for IT professionals. MS messed up big time with a public alpha and excluding the professionals on MSDN and Technet from point releases just feels like a slap in the face to us.
    MS, please feel free to comment. Or do you just want anonymous telemetry from the great unwashed these days as opposed to a reasoned, experienced professional option on new products?

Unhappy

Dave
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Internally, we are getting the same question from our business groups.  Remember, that according to normal schedules, MSDN subscribers start getting access with the first betas.  The *first* beta isn't until Feb 29.  The Developer Preview was an *alpha*.  So we haven't been left out yet, just all the publicity from the BUILD conference and the Developer Preview makes it seem as if we are all behind schedule...  At least, that what I think.  :)
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:24 PM