none
Expression Web 4 Won't Publish RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to publish Expression Web 4, I get the message, "Unable to open [my website]. Server error: The web server at [my website] does not appear to have FrontPage Server Extensions installed."

However, the server DOES have FrontPage server extensions installed, and there's been no apparent change since I last published. The problem isn't local, because the support team for my web host now has the same problem.

And, of course, there's no more support from Microsoft for Expression.

Questions:

1. Can you suggest a solution?

2. Can you suggest an alternative program other than Dreamweaver?

Thanks. 

Charley

Founder, ExcelUser.com

Saturday, May 3, 2014 4:15 PM

All replies

• According to a check with Sam Spade there are no extensions installed on the server for the domain Exceluser.com

Host: www.ExcelUser.com

Connection: close

User-Agent: Sam Spade 1.14

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 16:30:35 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Last-Modified: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:51:37 GMT
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    Content-Length: 43508
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html

Expression Web MVP

Saturday, May 3, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Questions:

1. Can you suggest a solution?

2. Can you suggest an alternative program other than Dreamweaver?

1. Quit using the extensions (FPSE). There is no need whatsoever to use them—you can publish just as well from EW using FTP as with the FPSE, and still take advantage of EW's excellent site management features. And someone with your background certainly has no need to rely upon the obsolete, bloated, proprietary,and completely unnecessary features provided by the FPSE, all of which can be accomplished by using modern, standards-compliant methods and javascript frameworks. Microsoft stopped supporting the FPSE almost a decade ago. Get with the program.

2, You're kidding, right? You want to abandon EW because you can't publish with the FPSE any more? Has it occurred to you that any alternative you switch to will also require you to publish with FTP? What is it, besides publishing with FPSE, that you want to do that you cannot do with EW? I have owned Dreamweaver going back to MX 2004, and all versions from CS3 through CS6 (because it came along with the Design Premium Suite, from which what I actually cared about was Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Fireworks, and InDesign), and EW has been and still is my primary Web development tool, because it is simply more productive.

Until and unless EW no longer provides the tools you need, there is no reason whatsoever to switch to anything else. Simply change your publishing method to FTP, and if you rely upon any FPSE features (FP image maps, Discussion component, Search component, Save Results component, Shared Borders, etc., but not including "Page Includes," which EW fully supports), get rid of them and start using modern methods. You'll be better off for it, and much more prepared if you ever do find yourself needing to switch, because I'll guarantee you that no other program around will offer even the limited support that EW offers for non-server FP features, such as the Page Includes that I note that you do use on your site in several places.

BTW, you might want to check further with your provider. It may be that the reason that the FPSE are no longer installed is because they've upgraded their servers. Precisely none of any of the latest server software supports the FPSE. This very thing has happened to many others who have come here in a panic because their providers, with zero warning, have upgraded, and suddenly they're in the wind because of their reliance upon the FPSE. You aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last. In any event, you are on borrowed time, and if they haven't upgraded their servers to a version without FPSE support this time, it is only a matter of time. Think about it...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Monday, May 5, 2014 3:21 AM
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:25 PM
  • "However, the server DOES have FrontPage server extensions installed, and there's been no apparent change since I last published. The problem isn't local, because the support team for my web host now has the same problem."

If the site is one other than the one in your post (which does not seem to have working FPSE's), or if the site you posted should have working FPSE, but does not,  then your own statement makes the rest of your options rather obviously moot.  If it's not a local problem, it's not an EW problem.  And FPSE's are not local.

If the problem is on the server (missing or corrupted FPSEs), it has nothing to do with EW, so Microsoft's support, or not (and they do support paid versions, still), makes no difference at all: they don't control your server.  You and your hosting company do.

If the problem is FPSEs, Dreamweaver would make no sense either, since it has no support for those obsolete FPSE's at all.

Your approach to the problem is  a bit sideways.  If it's a server problem, deal with your host.  If they don't support FPSEs any more (which wouldn't be surprising - they've been obsolete for years and hosting companies have been dropping them ever since), stop using them.  Publish using the perfectly standard FTP, which EW will do just fine.  Of course, if your site relies on FPSEs for some features, you have to change your site to not use them.  You did have 10 years advanced warning on that, however, so I hope it's just publishing that you are talking about, not FPSE features.

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:14 PM
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:02 PM