none
How do you change an add-in's name? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to change an add-in's name via Visual Studio?  I'm talking about the name that loads during start-up in Office 2010, which is the same as the name that is visible through the "add-in's" listing in the options panel.  

I've seen that I can change the "friendlyname" property in the manifest, but thats a pain since the manifest gets regenerated.  Is there no other way to do it?  I'm down with hacking a csproj file or something if that means I don't have to change it every time I build.

Thanks

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:53 PM

Answers

• Ok, I actually found a way right after posting.  There might be an easier way, but this worked for me.  

Go into the startup project for your add-in, to under the first <PropertyGroup> tag (might not have to be the first, thats just the way I did it).  If it doesn't already exist, add: <FriendlyName>{My add-in's name here}</FriendlyName>.

This fixed the name everywhere I saw.  

Does anybody know if this is a safe fix or not?  It seems to work for me so far, but I'd hate to screw up some internal ID or something.

• Marked as answer by KevinOffice Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:07 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:07 PM

All replies

• Ok, I actually found a way right after posting.  There might be an easier way, but this worked for me.  

Go into the startup project for your add-in, to under the first <PropertyGroup> tag (might not have to be the first, thats just the way I did it).  If it doesn't already exist, add: <FriendlyName>{My add-in's name here}</FriendlyName>.

This fixed the name everywhere I saw.  

Does anybody know if this is a safe fix or not?  It seems to work for me so far, but I'd hate to screw up some internal ID or something.

• Marked as answer by KevinOffice Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:07 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Hi ,

Base on my experience, I think it's a workable solution.

regards,

Wilson

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:01 AM