none
Embedding a movie in a website RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to develop a website on Microsoft Office Live Website.  I have been trying many ways to upload a 5MG WMV video to the website with no success. It uploads but fails to run saying the file may not have proper "codec".  Spelling may be off.   I can't tell if the file is being corrupted in the uploading process or if Windows Media Player is having trouble.  It plays on my local pc but it will not play when uploaded to Office live

Before I used Office Live I built a sample website on my pc using Expression 3.  I embedded a movie using silverlight.  It works fantastic. So basically I want to do the same thing with Office Live. 

What are my options?  Can I get this movie working in Office live or should I opt to develop the website with Expression and upload it to Office Live.

I am trying to understand how Silverlight works.  If I embedd the movie with Silverlight will people who visit my website have to download Silverlight to get this movie to play or does Silverlight build all of the coding into the website that is necessary to play the movie automatically.

Thanks for your help  http://fvbusinesssy.goods.officelive.com/default.aspx

Well I just noticed from one of the other questions that maybe you don't consider Office Live questions to be suitable for this forum.  I have built my website using both methods, manually with Expression and using Office live templates.  I am just trying to sort out what is the best thing to do.  I would really like to use Expression, but I need a place to host it.  I was hoping that Office Live would allow me to use Expression, but the feedback we get from these Forums is coming from people who want to build your website for a price.  So you can see how their responses to questions are not helpful to some one who is really trying to build their own website.  For instance they tell me to steer clear of Silverlight since it is not widely used.  What kind of a response is that coming from Microsoft Office live.  That is basically why I came back to this forum for some good answers.

I hope on of you can advise

Thanks

• Edited by GeoCoy1 Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:52 PM Updated Comments
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• You need to ask this on an OfficeLive forum, or perhaps a Silverlight forum. This is not an EW issue, and there is nothing you can do in EW other than embed Silverlight in a page. I do know that there are many restrictions on what can and cannot be done with an OfficeLive site.

For example, Kathy recently posted an excerpt from their FAQs indicating that active server-side technologies cannot be used. This may be another of those issues, and you're more likely to get concrete help asking in a forum dedicated to OfficeLive than you are here. We are developers, users like you, who use EW and try to help others. We are not Microsoft tech support.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:47 PM
  • As Scott said, this is a Windows Live question, not an Expression Web question.  If the page works in your local site, EW has done its job.  The question then becomes, what do you need to do to make it work with your host.  And since Windows Live is not a standard hosting situation, but a combination document sharing service, site maker service, and template provider, they are the ones who can tell you if you can make it work, and if so how.  Google for the answer, if you can't get it directly from a Windows Live forum.

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:58 AM