none
Dev/ Test environment for Azure Active Directory

Question

• Hello,

I am a developer looking to create an Azure Active Directory test environment. I need to test my product with Azure AD as an IdP so that I can solve a problem a customer is having with my product. Is there a way to create an Azure AD IdP test environment? I am a Visual Studio (formerly MSDN) subscriber. I see that we have monthly credits that we can use for Azure, but it excludes what they call "AD premium". I'm not aware of the differences between premium and non-premium.

Any ideas on how to set this up?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:45 PM

All replies

• Setting up the free SKU of Azure AD can be done by anyone regardless of Visual Studio licenses. The subscription you get with VS can certainly be linked to AAD afterwards (use the credentials in the AAD to login), but as you say you cannot buy AAD Premium with these credits. If there is a technical reason for this, or just a business decision  I don't know.

Just go to the home page for AAD, and click Sign Up/Free trial. (Premium for free during trial.)

As for needing premium - it depends. Since you mention AAD as an IdP specifically the question is whether you need SAML or not. SAML requires Premium. If you only need OAuth/OIDC you're good with the free SKU.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:38 PM