WES7 PPP host for WinCE 6 remote device RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Windows Embedded and not familiar of many of its features.

My company is developing a mobile/industrial PC and are considering Windows Embedded Standard 7.  We also have an existing WinCE 6.0 device that we are required to interface to.  The WinCe device will be mounted about 20-30 feet away from the PC and our only interface option is serial port (preferably 3-wire).

I want to create a network connection via serial ports between the PC and the WinCE device.  This would enable us to communicate via sockets and also share resources and services between devices.  In the future, if we update the WinCe device with ethernet, then we could easily switch.

Can I create and manage a direct cable connection between a Windows Embedded Standard 7 host and WinCE 6 client device?  If not, are there other options to create a PPP host under .NET or a newer form of networking over serial ports?

Thank you,

Jim

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:19 PM

All replies

• Sounds you just need a twisted pair cable. - pretty common. Some NICs also seem to detect how the interfaces works, so you may dont need this 'special' cable.
    Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:54 PM
  • from my original post: The WinCe device will be mounted about 20-30 feet away from the PC and our only interface option is serial port.

It sounds like you are talking about a crossover ethernet cable.  The WinCE device does not have ethernet and, for the next couple of years, ethernet is not an option.

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:53 PM
  • sry i got your post completly wrong..
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Hm... may this help?

http://www.perle.com/products/Device-Server.shtml

Should work like this:

http://www.perle.com/images/Diagram_DS1_bg.jpg

• Edited by KNARZ Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Thanks Knarz, but I am really looking for a way to do this a direct cable connect without additional hardware.  These are installed in fleets of vehicles and I cannot add hardware.  If was ones or twos, then it would be possible, but not with fleets of over 100.  Too much added cost.

Direct cable connect used to be possible and I hope that it still is.

Jim

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:50 PM
  • but more or less this would be some possible solution, right?
    may someoneelse can help. - i give up ^^
    • Edited by KNARZ Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:34 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Sorry, but no.  I am looking for how to do a direct cable connect in WES7 like we used to be able to do under XP.  I cannot add 10%+ cost per vehicle.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:51 PM