Network Load Balancing and High Availability RRS feed

• Question

• User-979503739 posted

I'm considering the pros and cons of NLB vs failover cluster for IIS. Everything I read seems to say NLB is a better option for a variety of reasons. Bear with me on this as I'm a bit of a newbie with NLB. If I were to use NLB it seems like there would be three components IIS Server A, IIS Server B, and a server running NLB. I'm probably missing some key concept here but what happens if you apply updates to the server running NLB and need to restart it? 

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 3:40 PM

Answers

• User121216299 posted

Hi cgelo,

Network Load Balancing (NLB), it is a type of clustering called "High Performance", and uses both servers all the time. Fail-over clustering (called "High Availability") is distinct in that only one server is active at a time, and instead of monitoring the load on each server, it worries about Hello signals that tell the cluster the state of the primary node.

Because of this reason, Network Load Balancing (NLB) can be the better choice over failover clustering.

Regards

Deepak

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 2:57 AM
  • User121216299 posted

Hi cgelo,

You had mentioned that,"When I create the NLB cluster everything seems to work but when I stop one node and then try to start it again it reports converging indefinitely."

This issue occurs because both of the NLB nodes incorrectly enter into an infinitely converging state.

I suggest you to refer the links below may help you to solve the issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2-based NLB nodes remain in a converging state indefinitely

Title: Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 - NLB Nodes Remain in a Converging State when the Nodes are Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:16 AM

All replies

• User-979503739 posted

Disregard, it looks like NLB is clustered. 

Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:09 PM
  • User121216299 posted

Hi cgelo,

Network Load Balancing (NLB), it is a type of clustering called "High Performance", and uses both servers all the time. Fail-over clustering (called "High Availability") is distinct in that only one server is active at a time, and instead of monitoring the load on each server, it worries about Hello signals that tell the cluster the state of the primary node.

Because of this reason, Network Load Balancing (NLB) can be the better choice over failover clustering.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:57 AM
  • User-979503739 posted

Thank you deepak,

I've moved on to another trouble, perhaps you (or anyone) could help. When I create the NLB cluster everything seems to work but when I stop one node and then try to start it again it reports converging indefinitely. I'm using Unicast mode, I've enabled MAC Spoofing on the VM NICs involved, I've uninstalled and reinstalled NLB and checked DNS / added the cluster to DNS. 

I'm thinking the problem may be due to my physical switches and may require Multicast mode? 

Here's a quick diagram 

yu

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:15 PM
  • User121216299 posted

Hi cgelo,

You had mentioned that,"When I create the NLB cluster everything seems to work but when I stop one node and then try to start it again it reports converging indefinitely."

This issue occurs because both of the NLB nodes incorrectly enter into an infinitely converging state.

I suggest you to refer the links below may help you to solve the issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2-based NLB nodes remain in a converging state indefinitely

Title: Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 - NLB Nodes Remain in a Converging State when the Nodes are Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:16 AM