Pdf viewer component to use in a Win 8 app (NOT Win 8.1)

Question

• I am developing a WinRT app under Windows 8. (I do NOT have, nor am I targeting, Win 8.1.)

I'm looking for PDF libraries/components that I can use in my app to render pdfs in-app, without the users requiring to switch to a different app (like Adobe Reader) to view pdfs.

I know there are a few components (as covered in this nice post: blogs.msdn.com/b/paulwhit/archive/2013/02/15/pdf-view-components-for-windows-store-apps-winrt-xaml-c.aspx) but they target Win 8.1 rather than Win 8.

Can you please help me find a pdf library for Win 8? I'm right now looking at a C#/XAML application, but if it comes to that, I can switch to Javascript/HTML5 if I can find a library in that flavor.

Thanks for your time!
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:59 PM

All replies

• It's not a built-in part of Windows 8, so you'll have to find a third-party component to help with this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Yes, I understand that, which is why I gave that link that has third-party components listed for rendering PDFs. But they all seem to target only Win 8.1, and not Win 8. I've spent quite some time searching the net, but haven't come up with anything that seems to work with a Win 8 app.

So I was wondering if anyone has "been there, done that" and might be able to guide me.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:02 AM