none
.net 4.0.3 64 app issuing TLS 1.2 messages RRS feed

• Question

• I notice strange behavior on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have .net 4.0.3 64 bit apps that using HTTPS to communicate with each other. As far as I know, and according to documentation .net 4.0.3 supports only TLS 1.0. 

But, .net 4.0.3 64 bit client is sending TLS 1.2 messages.

Another thing that I noticed is, when I compile the same app to 32 bit, it is issuing TLS 1.0 messages.

The apps are WCF cleint (meaning using proxy base classes System.Service.dll) <-> WCF server.

Do you have any Idea what is going on?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Amy,

I did some testing. 

1. By spec. .net 4.0.3 should not be able to send TLS 1.2 messages, as it does not supported. But, by default it should send TLS 1.0 (not SSL).

2. I tried the same app on Windows 8. I can not reproduce the problem.

3. I made fresh Win Server 2012 R2 machine with just SQL Server 2012 installed. I can not reproduce the problem.

4. I can reproduce this problem on my test Win 2012 R2 machine, as well as on number of machines in production, where some Microsoft patches are applied.

It seems that some Windows or .net update made this problem.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Hi Novak,

It does not happen when you are using the Windows Server 2012R2 with the SQL Server installed, but it happens after some Microsoft patches are applied. Yes, it seems that the update made this problem, in order to find out which upate makes this problem, please try to remove the update one by one.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Novak,

As far as I known, by default the .net 4.0 will support the TLS 1.0, I do not have the Windows Server 2012 R2 for me to test, could you please test the app instead of the WCF client to see if this behavior exists? Or please try to test the WCF client app in another Windows OS instead of the Windows Server 2012 R2 to see what happens.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi Amy,

I did some testing. 

1. By spec. .net 4.0.3 should not be able to send TLS 1.2 messages, as it does not supported. But, by default it should send TLS 1.0 (not SSL).

2. I tried the same app on Windows 8. I can not reproduce the problem.

3. I made fresh Win Server 2012 R2 machine with just SQL Server 2012 installed. I can not reproduce the problem.

4. I can reproduce this problem on my test Win 2012 R2 machine, as well as on number of machines in production, where some Microsoft patches are applied.

It seems that some Windows or .net update made this problem.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Hi Novak,

It does not happen when you are using the Windows Server 2012R2 with the SQL Server installed, but it happens after some Microsoft patches are applied. Yes, it seems that the update made this problem, in order to find out which upate makes this problem, please try to remove the update one by one.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:58 AM