none
Several Problems on Outlook 2007 with a Custom Journal Entry Form RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a customized version of the Journal Entry form. It's working fairly well, except for a few things.

I created the form by using "Tools->Forms->Design a Form". I made my changes on P2 and then published it to the personal forms library. I then set it as the default form on my Journal folder. Here are the problems:

1. The date and time at which I first open the Journal Entry form to design it was captured in my custom form. Every time I create a new journal entry, it starts at the old date and time, not at the current date and time. How do I fix that, preferably to have it behave just like the original Journal Entry form.
    2. I would like my custom form to be the one used when I open another item and use the Control-J (Record in Journal). Is there a way to accomplish that?
    3. It does mostly work when I copy another item to the Journal folder, though this is inconvenient. However, it always copies the original as an attachment. Is there a way to get it to copy the body, as it does when I copy something to the Tasks folder?

Finally, a more general forms question: I have a field that's meant to be a five-digit integer ID. Is there a way to get it to display without commas, but still be an integer? I'd love to have it display in "00000" format.

I just remembered another one. Is there someplace I can grab the "Journal Entry" icon? I'd hate to have to design my own.

I found one answer at Wrong default in end and start date and company fields: create a hidden page, add the Start and End fields to it, and set their initial values to "Now()".

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Custom journal forms are very rarely used, so unfortunately you are in a pretty obscure part of Outlook here in general. Let me try to address your questions...

1. The workaround you found is the right approach given this limitation. Back in the Outlook 2000 days, this used to be the case with appointment forms, too, but while we fixed that for that type of form, I don't think there were any updates for journal forms.

2. There is no way to accomplish this and it would be a limitation/bug in Outlook. Overall, however, if you were to use a form region (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206783(office.12).aspx) instead of the more legacy custom forms, this problem would likely not happen since form regions typically would just use the base message class for items (IPM.Activity in this case).

3. The ability to drag one item type to a folder of a differing type is called AutoCreate (just a bit of obscure trivia), but unfortunately there is no way to customize the built-in behavior for these scenarios.

4. For the "00000" format question, do you always want the 5 characters to be displayed? Or just the integer portion without the commas? Overall, I typically recommend just using a text field/property if all possible. You can still do calculations, etc., with them in formulas, code, etc.

5. The icons for custom forms are located in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\FORMS\1033

There are both large and small icons for use on the properties tab of the form in design mode.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

• Marked as answer by John Saunders Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:20 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi, John

I'm looking into this query, please wait for some time.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Any updates?

John Saunders
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi John,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Custom journal forms are very rarely used, so unfortunately you are in a pretty obscure part of Outlook here in general. Let me try to address your questions...

1. The workaround you found is the right approach given this limitation. Back in the Outlook 2000 days, this used to be the case with appointment forms, too, but while we fixed that for that type of form, I don't think there were any updates for journal forms.

2. There is no way to accomplish this and it would be a limitation/bug in Outlook. Overall, however, if you were to use a form region (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206783(office.12).aspx) instead of the more legacy custom forms, this problem would likely not happen since form regions typically would just use the base message class for items (IPM.Activity in this case).

3. The ability to drag one item type to a folder of a differing type is called AutoCreate (just a bit of obscure trivia), but unfortunately there is no way to customize the built-in behavior for these scenarios.

4. For the "00000" format question, do you always want the 5 characters to be displayed? Or just the integer portion without the commas? Overall, I typically recommend just using a text field/property if all possible. You can still do calculations, etc., with them in formulas, code, etc.

5. The icons for custom forms are located in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\FORMS\1033

There are both large and small icons for use on the properties tab of the form in design mode.

• Marked as answer by John Saunders Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:20 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Bill, thanks.

2. I have to admit that I had stopped doing Outlook development at the time of 2007. Although I had seen "Form region" in the UI, I never looked into them. I will now.

3. A pity. I was hoping it could be customized with something like the "reply vs. forward" behavior in the properties. I'll probably just upgrade to 2010, where I've used custom actions for similar things (I once had a "make a task out of this" action).

4. I want the number 1000 to display as "01000". These should never have commas. Although stored as integers, they are really codes with five digits. A regex to match them would be "\d{5}". When I said "00000", I was referring to the Excel format specification.

5. Thanks for the icons.

If you have more information on the formatting, I'd appreciate it (though I may just bite the bullet and make it a text field). I'll no doubt be back with questions on form regions.

John Saunders

Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Looking at the formatting issue further, I don't think there's any direct way to do this since there are no built-in formats for this and Outlook doesn't support custom formats. You would need to add some VBScript to the legacy form or have an add-in for the form region that could handle this in terms of padding out the number if it's a text format.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:45 PM