10 million dollar campaign for Silverlight penetration RRS feed

• Question

• Wouldn't that be great if they really put some money into getting the penetration rates up.

With such a great technology, we're stuck at 55% penetration and very few clients wanting to use Silverlight. It's such a shame, because it's really so much better than flash/flex/ColdFusion. But with Flash at 98% penetration, that's what clients NEED to use.

If Microsoft were to have a $5,000,000 dollar give away, and spent $5,000,000 advertising the give away, we could have 90% penetration in a few months.

If for instance, the $5,000,000 dollar 'Silverlight Sweepstakes' had 50 prizes of $100,000, and all you needed to do was to register to win, and the registration page required the Silverlight 4 plugin, I believe many people would be installing / upgrading silverlight. And the word of mouth talk about Silverlight would be huges.

Just putting it out there.

Hopefully someone gives it some real consideration.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure where you're getting your "stuck at 55%" number from, can you point to a source? riastats.com shows it at over 60% and steadily gaining a couple of percentage points a month. Sure I would like faster growth but I'm just curious why you think penetration has stalled.

Personally I think that developers turning to Silverlight for Windows Phone 7 apps will lead to better Silverlight apps on the web as well and better apps that people want to use is better than any contest or advertising to try to increase penetration. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:22 PM
  • The military has adopted Silverlight, plus the usage rate is growing more rapidly than flash ever did.. Penetration is a non-issue resolved. 

I also feel that Silverlight apps will improve and become the new preferred development technology for the web and smart phones.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:16 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure where you're getting your "stuck at 55%" number from, can you point to a source? riastats.com shows it at over 60% and steadily gaining a couple of percentage points a month. Sure I would like faster growth but I'm just curious why you think penetration has stalled.

Personally I think that developers turning to Silverlight for Windows Phone 7 apps will lead to better Silverlight apps on the web as well and better apps that people want to use is better than any contest or advertising to try to increase penetration. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:22 PM
  • It's just a Chicken / Egg issue.

How do you get the most popular sites to switch to Silverlight when penetration rates are comparatively very low?

How do you get users to install / upgrade when they aren't visiting sites that require it?

So, I'm saying, if microsoft were to create the Chicken, then the eggs would follow, or something like that.

I won't get into the Phone stuff, other than saying it's moot. Windows Phone 7 has no relation to the web, nor does it have hardly any user base.

We have great tools, a great platform, but no clients. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:59 PM
  • The military has adopted Silverlight, plus the usage rate is growing more rapidly than flash ever did.. Penetration is a non-issue resolved. 

I also feel that Silverlight apps will improve and become the new preferred development technology for the web and smart phones.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:16 PM