Login to Personal Website Kit RRS feed

• Question

• User891407979 posted

I thought I could learn from the code of the Personal Website Kit, as usual I learn more from get it working.

I installed Personal Website Kit on a Windows 2003 server with VS 2005 and SQL Standard Edition. If I run the Kit from VS it is working perfect, can navigate and log in. Can add users, roles and so on with ASP.net configuration.
    I published (VS option: Publish website) the website to a C:\InetPub folder and added the site to IIS Manager. The site is coming up perfectly, with locahost or through the IP address of the server.
    The problem starts with the login. The user name and password that are valid when running under VS are giving the message ‘Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again.’ message.
    Cannot find why it is not working and what the difference is. The connect string is <ADD connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" name="LocalSqlServer">is working under VS and apparently also under IIS because there is no error message.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanxxx

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:36 PM

All replies

• User593215468 posted

Well are you using a hosting company or just hosting it through your local server? Chances are that you are not using the valid connection string because the one that comes within the Web.config is for a local server. Also most hosting companies do not let you use pre-made databases - Godaddy for instance - so you would have to convert your database to SQL scripts and upload it to the hosting company's database and then you would have to the proper connection strings. Your error message with the login is definitely a database issue though.

Also I would suggest using Jeremy Wadsworth's personal website kit, which you can get from his website after you sign up for an account at .. www.jeremywadsworth.com. My website and plenty of other people's have it running - my site is in my signature - it includes things such as user management and blogging support and everything else you need plus it comes with his SQL scripts already. Hope I helped, Good luck.

~Eric

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:22 PM
  • User891407979 posted
    Eric,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>No it is not a hosted server. It is my own and have full control over it. I am wondering why its no problem when running from VS and it is a problem running it from IIS. It is not a connection and security issue (I think) because there no error message whatsoever. Maybe the error is suppressed by the login routine but it looks like the username password combination is not found in the database. I could not find the code for the login but that could be because I am just starting in the DotNet world.<o:p></o:p>Suggestions are welcome,<o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p>

Thanxxx

Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:15 AM
  • User-1480425032 posted

I foud this site: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/22/443634.aspx

It may help.

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:06 AM