EW4 File Conflict Re-hash RRS feed

• Question

• I know this has been answered in the past, but can not find the information in the forum. 

If I publish a file, other files change from "Unchanged" status, to "Conflict" with the red exclamation mark next to them.  The time stamps between web site and PC do not match.  I've cleared the WebSiteCache, but that did not correct the issue.

Your patience in re-answering the issue would be most appreciated!

Steve Harness
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• Refresh the window if it doesn't refresh itself (there are refresh icons on top of both the local and remote panes).  If that doesn't do it, I don't believe there is an answer (other than resetting all the data by republishing the entire site, which may solve the issue ... until it happens again).

Depending on your server and on timezones, the timestamps may not match. [People see different behaviors.] That in and of itself is not a reason for EW to assume a conflict.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 2:22 AM
  • EW's publishing management is a joke. Unfortunately, not a joke, "ha ha," but a joke, "WTF!?" It's better than it's ever been in EW4, but then, being better than a travesty doesn't necessarily mark tremendous improvement.

After using third-party FTP for publishing with EW2 and EW3, when I started a new project after EW4 came out I decided to give it a shot. I had read good things about the improvements in EW4 (which were true, and which tells you just how execrably bad it was before), I figured it was worth a try.

I have found that by ignoring completely any of the status indicators (changed, conflict, etc.), and simply using Site|Publish Changed Files after each editing session, EW4 does a very good job of putting up what needs to be published.

And when I say ignore, I mean everything . On several occasions, to my initial consternation (I now blithely ignore them), I've received warning dialogs that a file has been edited on the server that is newer than the one I'm publishing. Since I am the only person with access to the server, and since I never edit online, ever , I know that the dialog is a low down, dirty, lying sonofabitch, so I just click "Overwrite" and let the process continue.

So far, this has worked like a charm. I've been working on this project for about a month now, and using this procedure I have updated the site perhaps a couple dozen times, with nary a hiccup.

So, you have two choices, or perhaps three: Use a third-party app for publishing, switch to Dreamweaver, which occasionally will completely forget your site settings (CS4, anyway) and leave you twiddling your thumbs and looking for your server names, passwords, etc., or live with EW4's shortcomings. Your choice.

Ain't life grand? Welcome to the wonderful world of Web development.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I agree with Scott.  I know what I've changed and what I haven't.  When EW indicates "conflict" on an unchanged file, I say, "Pshaw!" and ignore it.
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Some time ago, I think a MS tech guru had a fix.  His solution seemed to work well for several months.  I just can't recall what it was, or where to find it.

Since it doesn't seem to impact the actual files, ignoring it it certainly an option - albeit inelegant!

THANKS!

Steve Harness
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 2:28 PM