Download VHD issue error 500 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am trying to download VHD's to local disc of a powered off server. I have downloaded 3 of 4 vhd's for this machine of varying size >100gb+ but am having issues downloading the last one. The below works for all but this particular vhd so I know its not a proxy issue, I have also tried downloading on an external ADSL and from the GUI, all efforts fail.

Odd thing is I can initiate a download from a MAC for this but don't have the bandwidth at home for this size download.

If someone can shed some light on why and how to solve this I would be appreciate it.

Thanks

PowerShell syntax and error below.

$sourceVHD = "//portalvhdsvzj6whxmh577.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/GDBASPSQL01-GDBASPSQL01-0711-2.vhd"
     $destinationVHD = "C:\downloads\downloaded.vhd"
     Save-AzureVhd -Source $sourceVHD -LocalFilePath $destinationVHD -NumberOfThreads 5

Errors with

Save-AzureVhd : The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Save-AzureVhd -Source $sourceVHD -LocalFilePath $destinationVHD -NumberOfThreads ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Save-AzureVhd], StorageException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.StorageException,Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceM
       anagement.StorageServices.SaveAzureVhdCommand

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:58 PM

Answers

• hi,

I guess this blob may have something wrong. you could contact azure support team to resolved this issue.

Try this channel :

Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Any results, please let me know free.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:03 AM

All replies

• hi mrcrop,

It is the authentication issue.

Try this method:

Firstly, we need pass auth on azure powershell:using "Add-AzureAccount".

Secondly, please try to use this command which included your storage account key:

Save-AzureVhd -Source http://mytestaccount.blob.core.windows.net/vhdstore/win7baseimage.vhd -LocalFilePath C:\vhd\MyWin7Image.vhd -StorageKey zNvcH0r5vAGmC5AbwEtpcyWCMyBd3eMDbdaa4ua6kwxq6vTZH3Y+sw==

The result is like this:

PS C:\> Add-AzureAccount
    VERBOSE: Account "**@hotmail.com" has been added.
    VERBOSE: Subscription "**" is selected as the default subscription.
    VERBOSE: To view all the subscriptions, please use Get-AzureSubscription.
    VERBOSE: To switch to a different subscription, please use Select-AzureSubscription.
    PS C:\> Save-AzureVhd -Source http://**.blob.core.windows.net/img1/VM1-VM1-0228-1.vhd -LocalFilePath D:\test -
    rageKey ** -NumberOfThreads 5

Please try it.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Hi Will

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I tried what you suggested with both primary and secondary keys but I get the same error.

Just to clarify the vhd is 1 of 4 for a server I am downloading from the same container, the other 3 download without issue.

I have no proxy server, and have the same issue on ADSL as well. It will not download from the GUI either but, MAC can download on the ADSL from the GUI just fine but as this is 100GB I don't have the bandwidth at home to pull this down.

Thanks

Chris

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:49 AM
  • hi,

I guess this blob may have something wrong. you could contact azure support team to resolved this issue.

Try this channel :

Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Any results, please let me know free.

Regards,

Will

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:03 AM