URL Encode with VB RRS feed

• Question

• User565442435 posted

I need to add post data to a link and then post to it via visual basic. Here is a little example of what I am trying to do.

Let’s say I have a job with the following info

name : job name 1

department: administrative

description: some description here, could be very long

hours: part time

pay: 10$/hr

This is the link to add a new job

https://example.com/action=new

I need to add URL-encoded information like this.

po_name=job%20name%201&desc=some%20description%20here,%20could%20be%20very%20long&dept=administrative&part_time=yes&salary=10$/hr

All of that is post data. I really have no idea where to start on this and need to be pointed in the right direction. Can anyone help me out? Thanks,

Friday, October 30, 2009 11:20 AM

Answers

• User1006193418 posted

Thanks for the encode method. What about adding POST data? I need to assign post variables and their values, do you know how to do that?

Hi,

To send values via POST mode to a website, we need to use WebRequest Class. Please have a try on the demo below. It should help you with the task.

Dim postData As String = "job%20name%201&desc=some%20description%20here,%20could%20be%20very%20long&dept=administrative&part_time=yes&salary=10$/hr"
    postData = Server.UrlDecode(postData)

Dim encoding = New ASCIIEncoding
    Dim data As Byte() = encoding.GetBytes(postData)

Dim myRequest As Net.WebRequest = Net.WebRequest.Create("")

With myRequest
        .Method = "POST"
        .ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
        .ContentLength = data.Length
    End With

Dim newStream As IO.Stream = myRequest.GetRequestStream()
    newStream.Write(data, 0, data.Length)
    newStream.Close()

Dim myResponse As Net.WebResponse = CType(myRequest.GetResponse, Net.WebResponse)

Dim reader As IO.StreamReader = New IO.StreamReader(myResponse.GetResponseStream(), Text.Encoding.Default)
    Dim content As String = reader.ReadToEnd()

Please refer to this link for more information about WebResponse class: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/debx8sh9.aspx

Best Regards,
    Shengqing Yang

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:49 AM

All replies

• User2077888689 posted

Hi,

Use the following method,

String encodedURL = HttpServerUtility.HtmlEncode( url )

More info here and here

Hope this helps!

Friday, October 30, 2009 1:23 PM
  • User565442435 posted

Thanks for the encode method. What about adding POST data? I need to assign post variables and their values, do you know how to do that?

Monday, November 2, 2009 2:29 PM
  • User1006193418 posted

Hi,

To send values via POST mode to a website, we need to use WebRequest Class. Please have a try on the demo below. It should help you with the task.

Dim postData As String = "job%20name%201&desc=some%20description%20here,%20could%20be%20very%20long&dept=administrative&part_time=yes&salary=10$/hr"
    postData = Server.UrlDecode(postData)

Dim encoding = New ASCIIEncoding
    Dim data As Byte() = encoding.GetBytes(postData)

Dim myRequest As Net.WebRequest = Net.WebRequest.Create("")

With myRequest
        .Method = "POST"
        .ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
        .ContentLength = data.Length
    End With

Dim newStream As IO.Stream = myRequest.GetRequestStream()
    newStream.Write(data, 0, data.Length)
    newStream.Close()

Dim myResponse As Net.WebResponse = CType(myRequest.GetResponse, Net.WebResponse)

Dim reader As IO.StreamReader = New IO.StreamReader(myResponse.GetResponseStream(), Text.Encoding.Default)
    Dim content As String = reader.ReadToEnd()

Please refer to this link for more information about WebResponse class: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/debx8sh9.aspx

Best Regards,
    Shengqing Yang

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:49 AM
  • User565442435 posted

Thanks for all of your responses. In case someone else comes across this, here is a simple quick and dirty example.

Dim myWebClient As New System.Net.WebClient()

myWebClient.Headers.Add("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded")

Dim postQuery As Byte() = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("action=login&username=marcel&password=password")
    Dim theResponse As Byte() = myWebClient.UploadData("http://www.webmasterworld.com/login.cgi", "POST", postQuery )

Response.Write(System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(theResponse)) 

That will acutally log you into that site, provided you give proper credentials
    Note: I need to credit http://www.webmasterworld.com/microsoft_asp_net/4017629.htm

If anyone ever can't find an answer on here (which doesn't happen very oftent) I would recommend that site also. I usually post to both to get a fast response. Thanks,

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:33 PM