none
3rd party custom built app does not work with latest versions of .net framework RRS feed

• Question

• We have a custom built application here...I don't have code specifics of this app, however what is happening is it does not work if latest version of .Net framework is installed.

Another part of the query is: I understand that .nf versions are cumulative in nature, means, the newer versions will always have the functionality of prior versions. If this is the case then why would the app fail with newer versions of .nf?

BTW, this app is installed on all versions of Windows OS, starting with NT to W2K8R2 SP1. And, this incompatibility is seen on all versions of Windows OS' so far.

My only reasoning perhaps is that the app itself is hard-coded with a particular .NF version in mind. We are thinking at this stage that it could be because the application is looking for the version of .nf installed. Because this app was built many years back, it is still perhaps looking for the same version of .nf that was installed then.

Questions I would like to ask are:

> Are .NF versions cumulative in nature

> If cumulative, then, why does the application fail with newer versions?

> What are the things to consider, w.r.t. .NF, while programming an app? Because, as it stands, if I program an app today keeping a version of .NF in mind, tomorrow with the release of another version can cause issues for my app. Is there any other workaround you would suggest to tackle this problem from coding/config/install stand-point?

~TIA

- thestriver

• Edited by thestriver Friday, March 15, 2013 1:25 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 1:18 AM

Answers

• "What if I already have a custom built app that is targeting version .NF 2.0. Now, if I install version 4.5, why would this application not work?"

I know of no reason the presence of .NET 4.5 would have any effect on a .NET 2.0 application. The two framework versions are completely separate.

To check the state of your .NET Framework 2.0, use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Run the tool with .NET Framework 2.0 selected, then post the first 15 lines AND the LAST 15 lines of the tool log here.

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• "My only reasoning perhaps is that the app itself is hard-coded with a particular .NF version in mind. "

Good reasoning.

You need to find out which .NET Framework version the application targets. That is the version you need on your system.

"Questions I would like to ask are:

> Are .NF versions cumulative in nature"

If you mean: Will an application that targets .NET Framework 2.0 run on a system that has only 4.0 installed? The answer is No.

"> If cumulative, then, why does the application fail with newer versions?"

See above.

"> What are the things to consider, w.r.t. .NF, while programming an app?"

1. Use the version that has all the features you need in your app. I.e. if you need features in .NET 4.0, you need to target that version, or its update, 4.5.

2. Now that modern Windows versions come with multiple .NET versions built into the OS, you don't need to worry to much about your users not having the .NET version you use. Windows 8, for example, includes .NET 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5. For users with old Windows versions, like XP, you need to build an installer that checks for the needed .NET version, then installs it as part of your app install.

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thanks, pvdg42

I have another associated query:

What if I already have a custom built app that is targeting version .NF 2.0. Now, if I install version 4.5, why would this application not work? I mean I already have 2.0 on the system and now I just installed 4/4.5 and the app no more works.

I was researching a bit, and got the following to have a config file for the app, to accommodate the new .NF version: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj152935.aspx

The other thing is...if I face this problem, what would be the best practice in troubleshooting this issue. Would it be a best practice if removing all .net versions and re-installing all of them one by one, ie, install version 1 and then 2.0 so on...till the latest version. How can we clean the system completely, including removing all registry entries... and start the process of re-install from 1.0 to latest version? Or, the best way to install newer versions, if it is already known that there will be compatibility issues with install of newer versions of .NF?

~TIA

- thestriver

• Edited by thestriver Friday, March 15, 2013 3:03 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 2:55 AM
  • "What if I already have a custom built app that is targeting version .NF 2.0. Now, if I install version 4.5, why would this application not work?"

I know of no reason the presence of .NET 4.5 would have any effect on a .NET 2.0 application. The two framework versions are completely separate.

To check the state of your .NET Framework 2.0, use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Run the tool with .NET Framework 2.0 selected, then post the first 15 lines AND the LAST 15 lines of the tool log here.

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:21 PM