Data query from local SQL database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I have a local server with SQL database and Azure SQL database. I wanted to query data from local SQL database to Azure SQL. However, not to migrate all data, only requested. For example, I have a data for sales of product A, product B and etc over time in local SQL. How can I import only data for sales of product A for specific time period. Is it possible?

Also, my goal is to show data in graphics in Power BI embedded to Azure. Do I require to copy data in Azure SQL or I can directly pull data from local SQL to Power BI?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You can perform incremental data transfer from your on-premises SQL Server to Azure SQL Database using Azure Data Factory with data slices. These slices require a timestamp (e.g. a datetime) column to exist on the tables where data is fetched from. For this you will have to install a Data Management Gateway on-premises also.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:02 PM
  • Adding to Alberto Answer, for your question regarding the PowerBI

If you are trying with local SQL you need to install On-Prem Data gateway inorder get the data from your local DB,Refer here

Prerequisites

• Install Power BI Desktop
    • Install SQL Server on a local computer
    • Install an on-premises data gateway on the same local computer (in production, it would typically be a different computer)

If you use Azure SQL Database,then you don't need to install any datagateway,since all the data is already in the cloud.

So I'd recommend go with Azure SQL 

JAYENDRAN

Sunday, October 14, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Hello Alberto,

Thanks for your answer. 

So, if I understood correctly, query will be written in Azure data fatory, right? Also, can I use pulled data slice as input for Azure machine learning element?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Hello,

The following resource provides instruction on how to create data slices, with date\time ranges.

https://medium.com/@benhatton/how-to-construct-time-slices-of-your-data-for-azure-data-factory-4977c2a85cde

About using data slices as input to Machine Learning, I don’t know. You may want to ask about it on Azure Data factory forum. There you should receive a faster answer.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=AzureDataFactory

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Edited by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, October 15, 2018 12:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yerkhan Monday, October 22, 2018 6:58 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 12:44 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Monday, October 22, 2018 6:59 AM