none
Re execute failed test cases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please let me know how to re execute failed test cases in Coded UI, and is it possible to re execute the test cases from same point where it failed earlier?

Thanks,

Sameer

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you don’t know the outcome of the test and you want to re-run the test when it failed at some point, I am afraid that you have to write your own code to defect the situation of action playback in coded UI test and then re-run it if there is an error occur at this action playback.

There is no inbuilt method in Visual Studio which will tell you how many test cases have Passed or failed from a particular test suite. But we can see the result in Test Explorer after those tests finish.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you run Coded UI Test from Visual Studio. You can re-run the failed Coded UI test in the place where you start to run it. For example, if you work with VS2012, you can start to run test or re-run test in Test Explorer window.

There is no built-in way to re-execute the failed test from the point where it failed. A possible method is that you write your own code in coded UI tests to re-call the failed actions if you know the test will failed at those actions or you can defect whether the test will fail.

You also could submit this feature request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your ideas/suggestions there and people can vote.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Thanks Amanda for the reply.

But what about the cases for which I don't know the outcome. e.g. If I don't whether my test case is going to fail and if it fails at what point it will fail.

How to handle such cases? and is there any inbuilt method in VS2012 which can tell me how many test cases have Passed or failed from a particular test suite so that I can write a code to re run those failed cases.

Thanks,

Sameer

Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

If you don’t know the outcome of the test and you want to re-run the test when it failed at some point, I am afraid that you have to write your own code to defect the situation of action playback in coded UI test and then re-run it if there is an error occur at this action playback.

There is no inbuilt method in Visual Studio which will tell you how many test cases have Passed or failed from a particular test suite. But we can see the result in Test Explorer after those tests finish.

Thanks,

Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:07 AM