What is the correct UI when right-clicking or long-time pressing an item in a grid list view if we want to show some operations?

Question

• Hello, Dear all,

For a grid list view, is it the correct or standard behavior to pop up a menu just near the mouse cursor if an item is right clicked or long-time pressed? For the classic Windows desktop applications, we could just show a menu just near the pointer, but how about the Windows Store Apps? For example, if there are many items in the grid list view, some of them is word docs, and some are execel docs, and some are other apps. If I want to show some operations (such as open, delete, cut...), should I make these commands in the bottom app bar, or through a menu? What is the right UI?

Thank you all.

Monday, February 17, 2014 1:24 PM

Answers

• In general it is best to put commands on the app bar rather than in a context menu, but the details will depend on the app. See the guidelines for Context menus and App bars and the documentation for Touch interactions and Mouse interactions

--Rob

• Marked as answer by B0L Friday, February 21, 2014 8:38 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 8:51 PM
    Owner
  • In my opinion, it really depends on the application. The last app I worked on had very detailed configuration needs and I tried going the app bar route but in the end that really made the configuration operations cumbersome. I ended up using popups with a configuration UI that was tailored to configuration task.
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:51 PM

All replies

• In general it is best to put commands on the app bar rather than in a context menu, but the details will depend on the app. See the guidelines for Context menus and App bars and the documentation for Touch interactions and Mouse interactions

--Rob

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:51 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, Rob,

Thank you very much for your reply. As far as I know, the context menu could be shown in the top, left.right.bottom of an item, but couldn't be shown in the way of the classic Windows desktop, namely, just shown where the mouse pointer right clicked.

On the other hand, if we show the operations in the app bar, then there would come another issue: if the numbers of the operations are a little, for example, more than 3, then it is highly expected to exceed the width of the screen (in portrait mode). The UI will not be good enough.

Is there a good Windows Store App that I could refer to? Thanks.

• Edited by B0L Monday, February 17, 2014 11:53 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:44 PM
  • In my opinion, it really depends on the application. The last app I worked on had very detailed configuration needs and I tried going the app bar route but in the end that really made the configuration operations cumbersome. I ended up using popups with a configuration UI that was tailored to configuration task.
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:51 PM
  • OK. Really thank you, Jim!!

The situation is a little awkward. The number of the operations will be no more than 4, and they should be OK to be put on the app bar. The icon of the item in the grid view is 90X90 (it is really small), and perhaps it is not suitable to show the context menu..

Really hard choice! UI is very hard to decide to meet what users really love.

Any suggestion? Thank you all.

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Year, the solution really depends on the requirements. Finally, I put all the operations on the bottom app bar. Thanks.
    Friday, February 21, 2014 8:39 AM